GarageBand and M-Audio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve jr., Apr 6, 2006.

1. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Hello. Okay. I work at a performing arts hall, and we want to get into the business of doing digital recording. We have a brand new G4 eMac, 40GB HDD with 512 ram, OS X 10.4.6. We have a product from M-Audio called Fast Track Pro that lets mics be pluged into the device with USB out the back and into the Mac.

The problem is I don't know how to set up GarageBand so it will take the M-Audio as the source. I did a little looking on the M-Audio site and found a designated GarageBand section, but our product isn't really mentioned, but one similar called Fast Track USB. The link is http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.filter&ID=garageband Basically, I was wondering if someone could tell be how I set up GarageBand (ie: Track > New Track > Real Instrument...) to work with the device.

2. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

3. seabass069 macrumors regular

Once you install your drivers and then plug the m-audio device in, go to Utilities(mac osx)+Audio Midi Setup. You should see your device there.

In Garageband, go to preferences, and make sure it recognizes your audio/midi settings. Now, back at the main screen, under "track", create a new track. Then click "real instrument". Now choose your input channel 1,2,3 or 4. Click the monior to "on", that's if you have external speakers. Then under the "no effects" click the round button. That is the record button. You do not have to be recording to here yourself through the mics. Good Luck!

4. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, seabass069. I'll give it a try first thing in the morning when I get to the office!

5. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

if that doesn't work, go to sound in system peferences.
    some audio hardware just doesn't have good drivers for the mac.

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Fast Track Pro is class compliant with OS X so it should be just plug and play. Garageband should recognize it no problem.

7. steve jr. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. It worked perfectly.

Now I have a new problem on my hands. When we do a recording (with the metronome OFF), there is a pulsing sound that comes from the speakers. It happens about 5-10 seconds into a recording and spaced out about every 3 seconds. It exists with external speakers, and with the ones built in. Any suggestions as to what is causing this? Thanks in advance!

- Steve