Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzman45

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
lawrence, ks
Has anyone here found any info on how well GarageBand will support MIDI devices.

First, I wonder if the Tascam US-428 will work with it. (4 audio inputs, 2x2 MIDI, and a control surface)

Second, can i hook up a MIDI drum kit and use it to trigger samples...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i wouldn't get too excited. this app is a toy. a cool toy, but still just s toy. it has one MIDI in and out on one channel. and one audio in and out. it also doesn't support wavs or aiff importing so your pretty much stuck with Apple's bundled loops. i believe export is also limited to AAC. look elsewhere for any serious production needs.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by BjoernG
Export is AIFF, according to http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/mix.html. Where did you get the info about the number of MIDI and audio ports?

Yeah, I'm wrong about the export. It's AIFF, which is nice. Re the MIDI: Well I'm basing this on the fact that John Mayer didn't enter any MIDI data or program changes when switching instruments. I had that KB asnd wwas looking for it. It was Steve Changing the synths, simply by choosing a new track.

BjoernG

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
Hmm. Conjecture; I suppose Steve did it b/c it's much more visual that way; many of the intended target audience probably don't know what program changes are :)

Anyway, I've read in a couple of places that it won't have MIDI out at all, which will be a bummer for many. About importing your own loops, I'm sure someone will hack the format, even if it's not standard.

I'd be truly interested in a listing of the virtual instruments. At least the organs, guitar and brass sounded excellent, if you can judge that from the bad stream quality. For free, you probably can't ask for true soft synths...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.