GarageBand, as it was meant to be used!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, Apr 21, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My best friend has been playing the guitar for many years, but has not been able to get a band together to perform. He has been able to use his aging Rev A G4 tower to power his way through GarageBand. He sent me a copy of his latest work, a cover of Matthew Good Band's Near Fantastica. I am so blown away by the fact that this is one person performing all the parts using next to free software to create something so incredible. I uploaded it to my spymac webspace, so please take a listen, I promise you won't be disappointed! Listen to it Here!

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi stoid,

it really sounds great. Still listening to it. Tell you friend he has a great voice. Did he use any of the samples that come with GB ? Doesn't sound like.

I am in a similar situation then your friend. Playing guitar for 20 years now and writing my own songs but never managed it to play together with some friends. Unfortunatly GarageBand runs so badly on my little iBook G3 900MHz that I cannot use it.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i thought it sounded really nice. i like your friends voice, it has a really interesting quality to it.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi stoid,

can you tell what kind of setup/equipment your friend uses ? How is he doing the recording ?

5. TheT macrumors 6502

Wow. I am putting this to my iTunes playlist right now :)
    The only thing that could be better is this echo effect, I don't like it that much, but that may be just me.
    Great work! And zooom on my iPod :) Apple rules :cool:

6. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I asked him what he uses, and he said that there's nothing special involved in the recording. Just a Strat guitar hooked up to the computer. He does the vocals over a V-Tech mic which is a Shure Beta58 (or 57) rip off, he says its a nice mic although I know nothing about mics myself. He just records everything in GarageBand, tweaks it's built-in effects, and lays down percussion using one of those USB-only keyboards from Apple.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

GB shows me the new face of music. Your friend is one that I would have been happy to pay iTMS .99 for. Or better yet an independent iTMS type service for independent artists that charges lets say .50 a song - with most of the money going to the artist.

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

yeah - it throws off the timing and is too high up in the mix. all easily solved in garageband, though :)

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Reportedly, some of the indie 'publishers' like CD Baby put songs up on iTunes, and give the artists as much as 60 cents of the 99 cent price. (35c gross to Apple, 4 or 5 cents to CD Baby).

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe Apple should allow us to search for labels that pay their artists a decent portion of our .99!

11. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Since he knew how much he music was being appreciated here, Isaiah sent me another one of his songs. Listen to it here.

Thanks for the support everyone!

12. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i wasnt going to bother listening to it because im not familiar with the real version...

but damn... im glad i did... its fantastic... your friends voice is great... has a Jeremy Enigk from "sunny day real estate" quality to it...

im going to listen to the other track now... but this goes to show the power of talent... even using a $12.25 piece of software... if youre good, youre good...

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Listening to one, downloading the other....nice! I like your friend's voice, it's got kinda a bluesy grunge vibe to it. I like the minimal, stripped-down simplicity of these. They remind me of those 3-in-the-morning conversations that get deep after the night's excitement. And this is one guy and a Mac! the mind just boggles at the realms of possibility here. :D

Anyone who sees this thread, and likes what you hear, go post a "go for it" on the GarageBand iTMS thread....

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi stoid,

the new one is great as well ! He should put together a CD and sell it through CD Baby !

Cheers

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Yeah, your friend has talent. I think he should give the album idea a shot!

16. acouSTLic macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Thank you all so much for the positive support of my works. I guess I'm glad stoid put my stuff up here lol. For anyone who is seriously interested, I am currently working on an album (heavily produced in GB). If you wanna hear a rough cut of one of the featured tracks, you can check it out here...

I hope you enjoy it, and if anyone wants to know more info about my music and the album, go here... Once you get to the main page, click the contact button (it's the only one that works lol), drop me a line, and I'll add you to my mailing list.

Thanks again!

~isaiah~

17. Harald4 macrumors member

Yeah, and I am myself sitting alone in my room...
    but I found this cute link in quicktime tv about Satriani's very, and I mean very secret rehersal mpec4 and I thought to myself,
    if he's got 6 strings and I do, I can do it too

18. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

Great stuff! Shows that in the right hands - GarageBand is pretty cool.

Good well crafted songs and fine production - nice site too!

19. Harald4 macrumors member

The basic statement was, GB, as it was meant to be...
    What's that?

20. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Tweaks

I'd prolly lower the volume on the guitar part at the beginning (one bar over and over). It kinda overpowers the vocals a bit.

I can't really tell because I am rather tired, but he may also want to put the vocals on the left and that guitar track on the right, or just put that guitar part completely on the right channel and lower its volume and leave the vocals as-is (maybe pot them up a bit).

That's the great thing about an app like GarageBand, you can tweak it yourself - instantly - based on feedback.

My wife just asked what I was listening to (she's talking on the phone to her sister and usually nothing interrupts her).

I sold my last guitar years ago, wish I had kept them now. I still have some of the cables in my computer stuff box for some reason.

For every iMovie 3 or iPhoto 1.0 we seem to get a GarageBand or FCP/FCE (completely awesome app). Apple rocks.

21. Xenious macrumors 6502a

This kind of grassroots stuff is awesome and might be the new folk music of our time. Home brew artists with multi track recording tools that are afforadable and available to them.

22. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Wow! Great tunes. I just added one to iTunes and emailed it to a buddy of mine. I know he'll love it. I'm a bass player and would love to try hooking up some tracks together. This is incredibly cool as I've just plugged my bass into iTunes yesterday for the first time and I'm just realizing the potential. I'm new to the Mac too. I love it! I gave away my PC today because it has no resale value.

Anyone out there want to try to create a song through file sharing?