Garageband has no line-in option on Pbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by googlydoo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. googlydoo macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005
    Hey, can anyone tell me why my Garageband doesn't show an option for "Line-in audio," like it should for a Powerbook. I have a 1.33ghz 12". I would like to plug in my guitar and use the built-in amp (even though I heard it wasn't so good). Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. macdad2 macrumors member

Apr 7, 2005
    I'm not sure anymore
    Try going to system preferences and selecting your line in there. It should then show up in Garageband. BTW -IMHO the guitar amp simulation in GB is actually pretty servicable with a little tweaking. Good luck.
  3. googlydoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005

I don't know, the Line-in is in System Preferences just fine, but no matter what I do in there, select or not, it still doesn't show up in GarageBand. Maybe an upgrade would fix this?
  4. dxm113 macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    in your utilities folder, there should be a "midi setup assistant" or similar, you must change a one of the settings from internal mic to audio - in. It's pretty intuitive once you get the program open and putz for a min. or two.

Sorry I can't really clarify now (I'm at work on a frigging PC POS). I'll post pics this evening when I get home if you still haven't figured it out.

The built in amps in GB aren't that bad, as far a tone is concerned. You'll need to run your guitar through a preamp first to get good quality sound however. The signal your PB will receive will be pretty crappy without some type of amplification. I think a lot of people neglect this, and then say the GB amp sims are bad (IMHO).

Guitar->guitar amp->PB

hope that helps
  5. googlydoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I went into the Audio MIDI Setup, but unfortunately the there is nothing but the "Built-in Audio" option under Default Input. It's strange. . .
  6. dxm113 macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    when I first got my PB back in Feb, i was also frustrated with your predicament.

let me get back to you when I get home tonight.

I'll post some pics and a mini-tutorial of what I did . . .

hopefully, you'll be able to get the audio in to work then
  7. dxm113 macrumors member

Jan 22, 2005
    open Audio Midi Setup

Under the "Audio Devices" tab, select LINE-IN for the Audio Input (see attached pic to see what it looks like for me)

In GB, create a new track (or open existing). Open up the track info, and "turn" the monitor on by selecting it from a pull down menu (see other pic to look at what I am looking at)

Hope this helps, this is what I have done to record in GB.

Attached Files:

8. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    Yup... good advice, you need to select the appropriate input in both the audio / midi setup, and in GB. Then, you need to turn on monitoring in GB.

If you can't hear it, in the dialog box where you turn on the monitoring, set the input to channel two (mono).

A couple of other words of advice:

1) The built in audio input on Macs is unpowered, so unless your guitar has active electronics you will need to preamp the signal...unless you are happy with mediocre tone. Apple is a bit misleading when they say guitar straight into the Mac. You can do it, but the tone bites.

2) If you are buying a preamp device such as a pod, or a M-Audio Fast Track, all is good. If you are taking a line out from your amp, however, make sure it is from the line out port of your preamp. Do NOT take a speaker out signal and plug it into your powerbook.... you will fry things!

9. googlydoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005

Hey, thanks for all the great advice. I am humbled by your wisdom.

I actually have a nice amp but I don't know if it will be able to send a line-out (although it does have an Effects Signal Out). I really just want to try this out for the free effects, and if it's an okay tone to play around in Guitar-Rig, it might be a good purchase just for fun.

Although, a Pre-amp would generally be a nice purchase for an assortment of things.

Thanks again guys!