Garageband issue with own audio recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by CrackedButter, Oct 9, 2008.

1. CrackedButter
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I recorded a conference and yesterday and it had a female speaker and then I stopped it to change to the male speaker. I had an error I couldn't reproduce since but now I get 2 error messages whenever I try to open the file and GB doesn't recognise the audio file I want to now convert to AAC.

The first error message states: This file type is not supported. I click okay and then get a second message, it states: 1 invalid regions(s) changed!

Once I've clicked those I get this message stating the audio recording is in 8 bit and is unsupported and then GB closes up.

I need that file converting into AAC, any help is appreciated.

2. jodelli
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

jodelli

So what file type is it and where is it stored?

3. CrackedButter
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It is just the standard GarageBand project and it is located in the default folder in music>Garageband.

4. jodelli
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

jodelli

Hmm.
    Right click on the file for Get Info. If it's stored as the file type **.band within that folder then it should play. But if it doesn't have that particular extension then Garageband won't recognize it.

5. CrackedButter
    Expand Collapse

CrackedButter

I realise that but what can I do in order to access the file in order to convert it. Could one of the Pro Apps sort this out?

6. jodelli
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

jodelli

I still need to know the file extension; is it still .band or something else?

7. jodelli
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

jodelli

The '1 invalid regions(s) changed' sometimes means the file is corrupt, in Logic. Some times it's playable.
    But that's in Logic. I can't figure out how to convert a Garageband file without at least being able to mount it in the app. It doesn't have to play to export it.

8. CrackedButter
    Expand Collapse

CrackedButter

It is a .band file.

9. sk8mash
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Sorry to bring up a relatively old thread, but I am also getting this problem, and a quick search on goolgle shows alot of other people get it to, but I can't find a solution. I have a project working perfectly on my MacBook, but when I transfer it to my iMac, it comes up with the error messages, saying invalid regions, and 8 bit files etc. when I know I have no 8 bit files. Please someone help!

10. sk8mash
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I just took one for the team and was on the phone to Apple support for about 2 hours. In the end we couldn't figure out what caused the problem, but if you compress it before you transfer it then it works!

11. Jolly Jimmy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I had this problem on multiple recordings once... I tried opening them again about 2 weeks later and the errors had gone...