Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I recorded a conference and yesterday and it had a female speaker and then I stopped it to change to the male speaker. I had an error I couldn't reproduce since but now I get 2 error messages whenever I try to open the file and GB doesn't recognise the audio file I want to now convert to AAC.

The first error message states: This file type is not supported. I click okay and then get a second message, it states: 1 invalid regions(s) changed!

Once I've clicked those I get this message stating the audio recording is in 8 bit and is unsupported and then GB closes up.

I need that file converting into AAC, any help is appreciated.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Hmm.
Right click on the file for Get Info. If it's stored as the file type **.band within that folder then it should play. But if it doesn't have that particular extension then Garageband won't recognize it.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
The '1 invalid regions(s) changed' sometimes means the file is corrupt, in Logic. Some times it's playable.
But that's in Logic. I can't figure out how to convert a Garageband file without at least being able to mount it in the app. It doesn't have to play to export it.

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Sorry to bring up a relatively old thread, but I am also getting this problem, and a quick search on goolgle shows alot of other people get it to, but I can't find a solution. I have a project working perfectly on my MacBook, but when I transfer it to my iMac, it comes up with the error messages, saying invalid regions, and 8 bit files etc. when I know I have no 8 bit files. Please someone help!

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
I just took one for the team and was on the phone to Apple support for about 2 hours. In the end we couldn't figure out what caused the problem, but if you compress it before you transfer it then it works!

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I had this problem on multiple recordings once... I tried opening them again about 2 weeks later and the errors had gone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.