Garageband Loops Should Be Sold In iTunes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by t300, Apr 15, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Garageband Loops Should Be Sold In iTunes...

What a concept! I just thought of this and I think it would be a great idea if a part of iTunes was where you could get individual loops or full loop cd's. Of course, each loop would not be 99 cent but less than that...My question is, do you think this would work? Would you use it if you do/did use Garageband?

2. wbrowne1 macrumors member

I think thats a great idea...

...the problem would come when figuring out the price. They are royalty free loops, so a CD would cost more than 9.99, but I'm not sure many people who aren't involved in broadcast/production would understand or justify paying $20-$75 for a CD of 10 second clips.

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

what about layers from song? like just the vocals, or just the guitar from a popular song. . . could be very easy to mix into other songs that way!

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yes, it would.. but what are the legalities of that?

5. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I know places that sell royalty free loops...That means whoever made them, whether instrument or vocal, has basically signed their soul to the devil and can never claim that you sampled them.

Some record labels release versions that are stripped of audio or what not. I am sure you have heard of the Jay-Z, DJ Danger Mouse incident, where he mixed Jay-Z with Beatles and now getting in legal trouble.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The other problem is that most loops are under 30 seconds I would imagine... so a 30 seconds preview wouldn't be a good idea otherwise you could quite easily just use a program such as Audio Hijack to get all the loops you ever wanted... granted you wouldn't have the tag info... but... yeah... otherwise it's a superb idea! Even sell instruments via iTunes. I'd totally buy some.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I would definitely purchase loops/samples this way. They could just let you preview very low quality loops to avoid you sampling them yourselves without purchasing them.

8. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Damn good idea. The iTunes store should display this category front and center -- great advertising for the Apple hardware and iLife4.

9. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I am glad you guys think it's a good idea. I think Apple should expand on this and make it something worthwhile. I mean, you could have easily bought the Garageband Jam Pack through iTunes, and it could have been piece by piece. It would work...oh yes, it would work oh so well.

10. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, I just found this old post...And guess what? I STILL think its a great idea. Come on Apple!

11. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The only issue I see that hasn't been brought up is size. Unlike the rest of the iTMS purchase material, the loops are in uncompressed AIFF format. That gets really big really fast.

Also the little problem with DRM. You'd have to reprogram GarageBand with the ability to DRM manage. Otherwise it'd only take one person to download the loops and they'd be everywhere.

I good idea to be sure, and Apple will have to put in a lot of work to get through all the hoops.

12. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I think it's a good idea too. Do you guys ever watch Discovery or TLC and hear the garage band loops being played. I cant remember what show's it happens on, but it happens pretty often.

13. Crikey macrumors 6502

I too think this is a great idea. I find the rhythm track loops in GarageBand and the Jam Pack are okay, but too much in a narrow collection of styles. I want some that swing more (I like jazz and swing music), and I'd happily pay for some good ones. Downloading AIFFs is no big deal; my cable connection can handle it.

Crikey

P.S. I seem to recall there was an idea-submission page at apple.com before, but a quick search there doesn't yield one now. Just this , which says Apple doesn't accept unsolicited ideas. Too bad.

14. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

And wouldn't it be hella cool if Artists released sample packs with loops from their cd's and particular songs...?