GarageBand - Low Volume on Export

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Mar 14, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Every time I export a song out of GarageBand, the volume for the MP3 track is too low. I have to blast my volume in order to hear it. In the old GarageBand, the volume would usually be too loud on the MP3 track, but now it is the opposite.

I have tried adjusting the Master Volume and the Track Volume in GB and have still had no luck. The volume problem happens when I export a track containing only Apple Loops. If the track contains music played by my keyboard, then the volume is fine.

2. thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Anybody?

3. macrumors newbie

Same Problem Here

I've been concerned that I bought a faulty condenser mic (audio-technica 2020) and perhaps I'm just getting bad input. But like you, I get great quality pre-export, then when i export, the volume drops dramatically. Sorry I'm not adding anything helpful, I just wanted to be in the loop so If anyone did offer a solution, I'd get a notification :D

Love :apple: not diggin' garageband at the moment

JC

4. macrumors 68040

Either of you tried toggling the Auto Normalize feature in the Garageband's Advanced preferences?

5. macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

JediMeister is right...

But if I remember correctly the option is not there on versions before Garageband 4.

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Just went into Preferences and changed that stuff. Then I exported a song, but still had low volume.

My old songs (like a year ago) were always booming with sound after export. What gives?

7. macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

What version of Garageband are you using? I only have this issue for Garageband '09, and i fixed it.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I'm using '09. It was part of iLife '09. You fixed it? How?

9. macrumors newbie

This is the solution, just opt out "Export project at full loudness...". Paradox, but if you tick it, it will export in half-loudness.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Ahhhhhhh! Thank you sooooo much. Its been months without any answers! Thanks bro!!!

11. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

This solution helped me greatly as well, thank you very much.

12. macrumors newbie

Hey I know I'm 2 years late, but I'm having this problem too. Just to clarify, to get full volume you leave the "export at full volume" box UNticked?

13. macrumors 6502

That is INSANE, but you are right!!! It works quite the opposite way than it should!! I had this annoying problem even in GarageBand '11, but you Sir saved my life!

You have to UNTICK the box!

Thank you guys!

14. macrumors newbie

Mac Vol too low, turning off normalization doesn't work

I've been having the typical low volume issue, except, unticking normalization does nothing to remedy the issue.

I have tried everything from:
    -turning software instruments to "real instruments" under preferences
    -maxing out the master track vol, while unchecking normalization
    -lowering the master track vol whie checking normalization

I am using some bass software instruments and unless I select the lowest quality option, "good", during export I get awful clipping.

Any help would be much appreciated. Trying to amplify the quiet track in audacity results in a horrible clipping mess.

any help would be VERY appreciated!!!