GarageBand & Midi Keyboard: Can play loops?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrankieShakes, May 28, 2004.

1. FrankieShakes macrumors member

Apr 23, 2004
    Hey all,

My M-Audio keyboard just arrived (49e), and so far things are going pretty well... My only question is how can I use the sounds from the loops through the keyboard? The "software" instruments available are very scarce, so I'd love to be able to produce the same sounds as the loops, only making my own melodies with the keyboard.

Is this possible? I sure hope so...

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    The loops that are highlighted in green are midi loops. The sound is generated by one of Garageband's built-in software instruments (the trick is figuring out exactly which one). The loops highlighted in blue are audio loops. They are clips of recorded audio played over and over. You cannot play these sounds with your keyboard. You may want to look at Apple's JamPack for Garageband. It includes a wider variety of software instruments that you can play with your keyboard. Also, third-party developers are starting to release expansion kits as well. Check out for more info.

Congrats on getting your keyboard. I have the same one and am really enjoying it.
  3. kingtlolo macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2011
    What if I wanted to record my own voice, like me saying 'hello', and assign one of my keys on my midi to play that recorded sound?

Is that possible?
  4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2008
    Look up a third-party sampler in Audio Unit format.