GarageBand MIDI problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Simon Liquid, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

I've just played around with GB in the past, but now I need it to work and I've run into a problem. I have some MIDI tracks but the "Software Instruments" don't include all the regular MIDI ones. It has lots of Pianos, organs and guitars but for brass it just has three generic pop horn voices and I really need a trumpet. Is there maybe a way to use plain old Quicktime MIDI instruments in GarageBand?

If not, does anyone know of a free program that can export MIDI to some plain sound format like AIFF or mp3 that I could then open in GB? MIDI Grasshopper requires registration to export and Audacity choked on my files.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

2. evolvetek macrumors newbie

Have you tried Logic Express 7?

Hello,

I'm curious, did you ever solve this issue?

Logic Express 7 allows for the opening of GarageBand files, in which you can quickly select the track that has MIDI data and export it. It immediately is available is a general MIDI file for ringtone editing.

In fact, I did it in the Apple store yesterday to test it. =)

Regards,

/e

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

QT Pro will let you export to a aiff file, that you could take into GB

4. Simon Liquid thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I realized that I could open it in iTunes and convert to other formats from there. It was just because I used to have QT Pro and I was used to using that to mess with sound files, never thought of iTunes as a tool to help me edit them. Probably not the best solution but it worked and I was desperate, didn't need to do anything fancy just clamp some sounds together by morning.

It would be nice if they'd add some more MIDI functionality to GB. As I indicated I've only used it on a couple of occasions but this is the second time I was stymied by the things one can't do with it.