Garageband on a G3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lilsuprano, Aug 1, 2005.

1. lilsuprano macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm verrrrrrrrrry close to buying a 500MHz G3 iBook with 640MB of RAM, and I was wondering how it would do when making beats in Garageband? The reason is, I've been DJing for quite a bit, but it would be really handy to have a laptop to be able to record mixes and stuff on, but also as a source to have a freshly made loop to be mixed directly from the iBook with one of my turntables...now I figured if I could get Garageband to work well enough on a G3, I'd do that....Otherwise I'll just spend a bit more money on a PC laptop and use Fruity Loops and Traktor DJ Studio...but is this iBook going to be able to run Garageband?

Eric

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The minimum system requirements for Garageband are:

600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand
    G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments...
    DVD drive required to install GarageBand...

If Garageband will even install on a G3/500, chances are you wouldn't be too happy with its performance.

Maybe a better choice would be a refurbished G4 ibook from apple.com.

3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

iB to PB for GB.

From my DJ experiences with my iB (G3 900 mhz, 640 RAM, 60G HD)... I found that GB stalls & just quits when you ask it to do too much. Also, you don't have audio line-ins. You'll have to use an iMic (Griffin or similiar) to get a signal in.

I've since upgraded to a 12" PB, and could'nt be happier... :D

Hope this helps!

4. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

The problem with refurbs is that I live in Canada..and the refurbs aren't available in Canada....you guys think a Mac Mini (next cheapest on the list :p) would suffice then? I mean, it is running a G4 Chip..

Eric

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I run GB on a Mac mini 1.42/512mb and it works just fine. No problems with projects as large as the NIN "Hand That Feeds" remix. Should be pretty solid for beat making.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My son has loaded all the Jam Packs, runs GB2 and has produced and burned to CD over 15 original songs, some stacked with up to 8 layers, all on a G3 Pismo with 1Gb RAM. It's had no problems handling it. The quality is quite good. I don't know though about the iBook scenario.
    X

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I run Garageband on an 800MHz G4 iBook and it's stable and relatively hassle-free. I wouldn't recommend a G3 iBook though. Still, I think you'd find it a much more intuitive program than the PC equivalents. I know I prefer it to Frooty Loops and Acid Pro from a pretty amateur point of view.

Scrape together just a little bit more cash and go the G4 iBook route. :)

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm running garageband 2 on my iBook, G3 500MHz (see siggy, i think I still have them in there). It runs slow, can't make your own beats or that, you can use custom though. I know how to install it, even though it says you can't install it w/out 600MHz blah blah blah. I recommend GarageBand 1 because on the iBook's, it works (right, cause GB1 required 500MHz or faster G3?)

9. lilsuprano thread starter macrumors member

I think that's what I'm going to do, it'll take a little longer but it's worth it...but I'm still undecided, we'll see what happens with the Intel switch...might be able to pick up a G4 iBook for cheap :D

Thanks for all your help!

Eric