GarageBand performance on 12" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soccerfan, Jul 6, 2004.

1. soccerfan macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    After a long period of debate, I'm almost set on the 12" PB.

I'm intersted in running GarageBand and as a final decision point I wanted to know how well GarageBand runs on the PB as compared to the iBook...

Any experience with this out there?
  2. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I did some tests with GarageBand on my old 1GHz 12" PowerBook, but I've since upgraded to the 1.33GHz model. Are there any kinds of tests you'd like me to perform? I guess one of the simplest ones is to just keep throwing extra tracks on until the playback stutters, but I'm not an expert GarageBand user. Any suggestions?
  3. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    my friend is able to play the software instruments with his revA 12" powerbook, so that is something at least... with only a 867MHz cpu. with the current models the performance should be not a problem at all.
  4. flappo macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2003
    in the cubicles
    i have a 17" 800 mhz imac and i can only play 4-5 tracks before it grinds to a halt
  5. soccerfan thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks for offering to do a test, but I'm not familiar enough with the software yet to know how to test it! That's OK, I'm pretty much settled on the PB 12" at this point....
  6. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I am running garageband with a 700 Mhz eMac. I have 640 Mb or RAM, and GB runs fine on my system. I have plugged my guitar into the mac, and had multiple software instruments running at once, with no problems.

For me, at least, the last update to GB made it run markedly smoother. If I can run it, the powerbook surely can.