GarageBand Question regarding Jam Packs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fourbin, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a PowerBook and needless to say if I install of the Jam Packs that I have, it kills my hard drive. Is there any possible way to install the jam packs on an external drive? What are my other options?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    It should be possible. I however dont know how to do it. But I would think making Garageband access files from an external drive will slow it quite considerably?
  3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    On my iBook I had it where the Garageband library (I think it may be in Application Support) pointed to my external hard drive as a symbolic link. Is that what you're looking for? I'm not at my Mac so I couldn't give instructions right now...
  4. margotspop macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2004
    I have all the JP loops loaded onto an external drive. Not the instruments, though - just the loops. I think you can get the instruments onto an ED, I just don't know how to do it. However, there's plenty of advice on the Apple support pages.

For the loops: I'm not sure that you can load your loops onto an external drive during the initial import - the default is going to be your internal drive. However, once they are loaded, just cut and paste them onto your external drive. Then open up GB, open the loop browser, abd drag and drop them onto the browser. GB gives you the option of keeping them where they are or copying them to your local - obviously you want to keep them where they are. That's it.
  5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    This is what I do.

I just go to the folder where all my Jam pack loops are

then I highlight them all in each folder and holding down the apple key, I drag them to a folder called "jampacks" on my external (holding down Apple will cause them to be moved instead of copied) then I highlight all the loops I just moved to my external, and while holding down apple+option I drag them back to the folder where they were originally (holding down apple+option causes the items to be copied via an alias/shortcut.) So when garageband goes to check the folder on my main HD for the loops, it sees the alias' and loads them from my external....