Garageband recording problems

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by starla76, Mar 30, 2007.

1. starla76 macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2005
    I have a mac mini 1.42 GHz G4 processor with 512 MB RAM. I have connected my M-Audio interface with Garageband, plugged in my guitar, and selected it as a Real Instrument. So far so good. My computer recognizes it and I get output/input from the guitar.

The problem is recording. When I try to record one track, things are fine. When I try layering a second track either 1) the second track skips repeatedly (with loud pops) during recording so the tracks don't line up 2) all of a sudden the guitar output dissapears and I can't hear either track 3) the entire program freezes. Trying to shut down Garageband doesn't work nor does force quitting. I just get the spinning beach ball indefinitely so all I can do is shut down the entire computer. Frustrating.

Sorry this is long winded, but is this a RAM issue? Will upgrading to 1 GB help? If not, any suggestions are welcome!
  2. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    You could try repairing permissions to the HD. Yes, you could upgrade to 1 GB. You could also purchase an external HD to record to. The RAM and external HD would help a lot.