garageband ? - switching from pc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benkohler, Sep 22, 2004.

1. benkohler macrumors newbie

i just got a powerbook (my first mac) that came with garageband and wanted to ask a question. i have done a decent amount of music recording on my pc, and i used a program called cool edit pro. what i would do is run my guitar into an amp. mic the amp. run the mic into a mixer, and then run the mixer into the computer. sometimes i would skip the mixer and run the mic right into the computer.
    whenever i read anything about garageband off the apple site, they say to just plug your guitar straight into your computer and start recording. this seems absurd, as i have never in my life heard a halfway decent sound coming from running a guitar straight into a computer. micing amps always sounds a million times better. my question is can i keep doing what i have been doing on my pc, as far as micing amps goes, in garageband?
    thanks
    also, is there a way to change the panning throughout a track, like you can do with the volume, or does an entire track need to be panned to the same place. i do a lot of guitar panning left and right, and couldnt seem to figure this out in garageband.
    thanks again
    benkohler

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Yes you truely can plug it right in.

One of my friends uses something called guitar rig and he says it is awsome. Try looking on google for it.

(just a note: i am not a music person otherwise id be able to tell u a lot more)

you should be able to mic the amps as well.

ah yes: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/ goto roughly 1:09 (1 hour 9 mins) and watch the garageband demo!

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

IT will sound horriable unless you pre-amp it...just run it through the headphone port on your amp if you dont have anything else.