GarageBand with ibook mic?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spellflower, May 27, 2006.

1. spellflower macrumors regular

Since Apple decided to save an audio input for entry level laptops until they had a pentium chip to go with it, I have no way to record live instruments on my ibook other than buying an external device, or using the built in mic. Since all I want to do is record some musical sketches on acoustic guitar, I think the built in mic will be adequate. However, I can't find any option for using it in GarageBand.

I also tried using the Note Recorder function in MS Word. It worked at first, but then about 20 seconds in to the track, it started to cut out and distort.

Any solutions would be very welcome!

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

The built in mic is fine for recording sound in garageband. Is it selected in the audio/input section (and turned up 3/4 or so) ?

If the mic worked and then crackled and cut out... it might be broken.

3. spellflower thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for writing back. I went to the audio/midi window under garageband preferences, but the only option the audio input menu gives is "built-in-audio". So how can I select the mic?

I hope the mic isn't broken. That's kind of why I wanted to try recording w/ it in GB, to see if it was the mic or MS Word.