Gardening 2007

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Mar 22, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm gearing up for my veg & herb garden this summer - I've got a few tomato seedlings going and am waiting for some other seeds to arrive from all corners of the globe. Gardening has got to be my favorite summer past time - I can't be alone here. What are you growing this year? Do you have any growing tips?

For me, for the last few years I've been growing about 6 heirloom cherokee purple tomato plants and that will continue. Plus a few cherry toms. I love chili peppers - in the past I've just used the regular burpee seeds for Jalapeños, Cayenne, and 'Hungarian wax' - but I'm exited this year about Thai Dragon chilis and, the best!, some Naga Jalokia peppers I'm attempting. Other usuals: shiso (red and green), Japanese cucumbers, rocket, basil, mint, dill, and possibly oregano.

YT

2. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm not as talented as you are; I'm just trying to grow tall fescue. :)

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

hoorah....veggies!

my husband and i are getting ready to start our little seedlings for our garden. we have a fenced-in backyard (we live "in town") and we're allocating about a fifth of our yard as garden space. last year we lived in an apartment building with a balcony and tried to grow some things in boxes...but only the herbs grew. :( we're hoping for better luck this year!

this year we have zucchini, squash, lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, green onions, and cucumbers...the things that i usually buy at the market, but never have when i really need or want them. i can't wait to be able to just walk outside and grab that squash i want for dinner. :)

best of luck to you, and happy gardening! anyone else here trying out their green thumb this year?

4. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

You've given me a great idea. I usually just have flower gardens because I love the colour and variety available. Also the butteflies and other flying beasts in a garden. But, I have a section of my garden that I haven't done anything with (it's only 1 1/2 yrs old) and I think I'll put in some veggies. There's nothing better than leaf lettuce and fresh cucumbers. Maybe some carrots. I'll have to think on this. Strawberries too!! I love fresh strawberries. Hmmmm....:D

Any suggestions on how to keep the cats out of it? The one can jump over a six foot fence, just so you know.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i don't have any suggestions for your cats...you might find some ideas by searching the net. :) deterrents, not fencing, come to mind.

when i was a young'n my parents had a strawberry patch. the problem was, believe it or not, turtles. when i was 3 the strawberry patch was left to just die out, but for years afterward, up until i was about 12, i'd find little tiny "wild" strawberries in the field behind the house. it was kinda cool.

i think we may actually try an indoor strawberry plant, because i can't afford to buy them in the store, and i really do love strawberries so much!

7. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wikipedia has everything!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_deterrent

Around here, we have a lot of problems with rabbits eating lettuce in the garden. One thing that surprized me last summer was that the rabbits stayed well away from the rocket (arugula)... no idea why.

Cucumbers are so easy to grow - very low maintenance. Good luck with your garden!

8. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

We have lots of rabbits in the neighborhood, but none of them can get into my yard. I'm mostly concerned about the cats using my garden as a litter box, even though I leave a box outside for them. I guess he's just a purist in some sense.

Arugula is a good idea. Any other good (and easy) ideas for what I should plant?