Garritan Personal Orchestra/Digital Performer 4.12

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgeek2005, Apr 15, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Okay, i'm kinda getting into audio stuff on my mac, and I have the program Garritans personal orchestra.. it's an amazing program that has sounds that sound like a real orchestra.. and in a few weeks i'm getting the M-Audio Keystone 61-key keyboard, so I can record in garage band as well as GPO (Garritan personal orchestra).

The thing is GPO is not a recording program. It only has a keyboard and sounds. The program needs to be "plugged" into a digital recording software. I'm using Digital Performer 4. I know there is a way to make the device that it records be "GPO". Like in other words, instead of recording from keyboard to Digital Performer, i'm recording from GPO to Digital Performer.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not quite -- the GPO needs to be played by MIDI tracks from MIDI sequencer software. Nowadays, almost all digital recording software includes MIDI tracks for playing virtual instruments (which is what GPO is)and external MIDI-connected hardware synthesizers.

So what you are doing is recording MIDI tracks into Digital Performer, and Digital Performer 'Plays' GPO for you. COnsult your Digital Performer manual for setting up MIDI tracks with virtual instruments. Depending on the version of Digital Performer, you may have to have an additional piece of software to 'wrap' GPO in to make it accessible to the plug-in format that old DPs can access.

3. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

eh......... i'll stick with garageband until I feel like going to all that trouble.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Up to you: but you have an excellent sound library and a top of the line recording/sequencing program -- IMO its worth putting in the one-time learning effort to get them to work together.

5. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is Digital Performer 4 not the newest version? Do they have a newer one?