Gary - 1, Dwyer 0

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Feb 2, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Nice try, Donnie boy.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shouldn't it be Dwyer 0, Gary 1?:confused:

Well played, anyway!:D

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Edit: nevermind

:eek: Oooops.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Now, I just have to stop him from getting re-elected. ;)

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

The prayer?

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah. :rolleyes:

Here's another Link.

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

lol. Dwyer tried to short-circuit the committee so the speaker short-circuited Dwyer. And now he cries foul?

If only the Senate Dems had the guts to do the same...

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well I think Dwyer was supposed to serve, so the score would read correctly as 0 - 1 or, perhaps, love - 1. If the match goes 5 sets, I would suppose zeros would be more appropriate. Anyway, there was a break on first serve. :)

9. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Whats wrong with that? :confused:

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Is that really needed during local government legislation? And I say that as a religious person. Religion should have little, if anything, to do with politics. Not everyone is the same religion or religious at all.

That's part of the problem here. ;)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, I don't know....maybe because the freakin constitution says it's wrong?

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Separation of Church and State. Religion should keep it's nose out of politics, it's too dangerous a combination

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, not according to Donnie Boy™.

According to Donnie Boy™, you are trouncing his religious liberties.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't have a problem with a prayer to begin a government meeting, if and only if they prayer is led by a volunteer, no restrictions are put on which religions are allowed to lead the prayer, and they cycle through all applicant religions daily.

One day it's a Wiccan prayer, the next day Islamic, Jewish, Christian, etc. Of course the problem is this is not typically how it is done and thus a Christian prayer is used which seems like a government endorsement of Christianity as a preferred religion.

Why must prayers be led at all? Why can't meetings begin with a moment of silence during which those that want to can pray and those that don't wish to pray can gather their thoughts?

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I've never worked at a job that had prayer every monrning. Why should the government?

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I'm glad I'm over here. I don't think he'd like my atheistic liberties either.

I'm always amazed at the depth that religious dogma permeates what should be a secular government. It's just different to what I'm used to. Here religion is basically a private thing, you certainly won't see footage on the news of our leaders going in and out of church, you don't often hear one of our pollies mention God on the news. Sure, there is a bit of religious talk but mostly they just stick to lying and scheming like all good pollies should.

I think it's based around that we generally can't stand people going on and on about God - it gives us the *****.

Religion (if necessary) belongs in the home, in private, it is not something to be paraded around to gain support or to justify actions. Doing so actually goes against what most religions teach.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I never said that they should do it. I was just saying that I don't have a problem with it if they grant all religions access to lead the prayer if this is not or cannot be done the prayer should not be done.

The best solution is undoubtedly that those who want to should pray before going to work making the pre-meeting prayer unnecessary. However if the committee feels the need why can't they just have a moment of silence?

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I hear you, but seriously - why do people have this odd desire to do crap like this at school and government institutions? It's basically unheard of elsewhere in our society as far as work goes?

I never needed a moment to contemplate my agnosticism before coffee at the office.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm with you and of course the best solution is for those that want to, pray before coming to work.

The main reason I have the restriction of equal access if a prayer is to be led at a public event is because those that feel the most strongly about having the public prayer are the same people who would be going ballistic if another religion's prayer is used. Could you imagine the uproar from the Christian right if their local government were to start a committee meeting with a prayer to Allah?

I see a moment of silence as a decent compromise and I don't see why anyone would really have too much of a problem with it. If you don't want to pray, organize your papers/work area, heck we're talking about 30 seconds of relative silence...we do that for Apple commercials on a daily basis...:)

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Seriously? You must be kidding - especially in your line of work.

"Please God, let this client pays his bills this month!"

"Please God, let the printer match my proof!"

"Please God, help me make my budget!"

or, for those on Windows systems,

"Please God, let me system keep running at least until I finish this spreadsheet!"

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not every day, but my wife worked in a district briefly where the new teachers were paraded in front of the school board after being hired. The meeting she went to was led off by a guy in Wranglers and a plaid shirt 'bowing our head in prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ' etc.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You may have misheard him. When he's working on the photos he's not saying "God", he's saying "Jobs."

Only when iGary is using his Windows machine does he resort to "God." And even then he can't help him.

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

24. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Jesus Christ, will this ******* pay me?

Jesus effing Christ, can't they color match?

I think I believe in Jesus, more. :D

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's highly unprofessional, so it's relegated to places where the unprofessional can thrive.