Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Why are gas prices so high? What factors affect the price of oil? Do high gas prices change your driving habits? What do you think should be done to lower gas prices at the pump? Click here to find out more and be sure to post your comments. :)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Why are gas prices so high?

People just go apes**t because of the high level of terror.

>What affects the price of oil?

Plain and simple, the less of it available, the more the price has to rise. Or, if holiday seasons roll around, people change the prices to maximuze profit. Another thing, during the season in which people use the most of the fuel, the prices go up to maximize profit.
    "The bottom line is money. Nobody gives a f**k." System Of A Down

>Do high gas prices change your driving habits?

I don't drive right now.

>What do you think should be done to lower gas prices at the pump?

I think a better question would be to ask "What should people do to maximize fuel effeciency?" (miles per gallon) Read your driver's manual and take notice of the section regarding maximum fuel life for your vehicle. Use a vehicle with a high m.p.g, such as an electric car, if you have one, try and coast instead of constantly using the accel. and brakes, and have your vehicle checked.

3. guitargeek macrumors regular

Yeah, prices have taken a jump in the last week or so. It doesn't change how I drive at all, though, since I already drive rather efficiently.

The single best thing you can do is watch your RPM's. Keep them as low as possible, and you'll get good mileage.

Of course, if your car needs a tune up as well, replace the plugs, wire, and O2 sensor as well.

I also only use super in my car, which helps keep the fuel system cleaner, which means fuel burns cleaner, which means you get better mileage.

If you haven't run any fuel injector cleaner in your car recently, go to your local auto store and buy a bottle. It can make a big difference as well.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i got this emailed to me a while ago, by some guy we bought from on ebay. i was furious. a good read for people who are obsessed with oil money--

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm

IMHO, a lot of the reason gas prices go up so much is that everyone's convinced that we'll run out of the stuff eventually.

they're right, too.

if people actually pushed, we would have alternative energy cars on the market... i wish people would look into hybrid cars more, they really save you money in the long run, along with a slew of other benefits. and a tax credit, often.

pnw

5. guitargeek macrumors regular

If they were of a decent size, drove well, and were safe enough, I might consider it.

The Insight I test drove was pretty sluggish and cramped. Hopefully someone can come out with a hybrid that is of a respectible size.

6. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

The bigger the car, the bigger the trouble.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I agree. they did such a good job of compressing the batteries for japan's compact cars, and they kept it small over here. i think the problem is that a lot of design goes into the cars to make them small, and no one wants to redesign them for another market until they're satisfied that it'll turn a profit.

i've been very impressed by the energy-capture abilities tho, they've really made them work well. mixture of speed, ease of use, and mileage really pay off.

the insights are the smallest of the cars, i would avoid them as well.

pnw

8. sinclairZX81 macrumors member

forgive me but I find it hilarious that people in the US think they pay high prices for gas. you have no idea. I've lived in the US for 5 years and I still cannot believe how CHEAP gas is here.

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

We need Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars. I just read an AWESOME article in Scientific American. It talks about a plan for 5 years, then 10 years, then about 15 years, and what would happen during each.

Around the 10 year mark, we would have hydrogen pumps at stations (lowering the cost a LOT), we would have cars with hydrogen fuel cells, and everything would be converted.

It is such a great article, I will try to find it online.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Article

My bad, that link was crap. This is the whole article, someone got it in PDF form.

PLEASE read this, its a great great article.

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Re: Well

I read a similiar article in Wired Magazine. ;)

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok

Go here, the file is too big to upload, so this is a download link....

HERE

13. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

The article mentions the marketing $$$ at about one billion and reasonably so. As time progresses, availability increases and price decreases.

For right now, we are going to have to wait until this becomes a reality. Unless, of course, if you are willing to spend you money to explore the Moon and spend it on the car now. :cool:

15. cubist macrumors 68020

In about 3 weeks gas went from $1.45 to $1.71 (per gallon, regular unleaded) here in the DC area.

While this is a significant jump, it's not likely to influence my behavior any. I have a 3.5 mile commute. Besides, I don't have any 8-cylinder vehicles.

I think a useful conjecture for individuals is to consider what you might do when the price of gasoline hits various levels:

(a) At $3.00 per gallon.
    (b) At $5.00 per gallon.
    (c) At $7.00 per gallon.

The $3.00 level is likely to be reached, if not this year, certainly by next year.

16. guitargeek macrumors regular

Actually, from my experience it's been just the opposite. Our 77 Caprice ran well over 200,000 miles, and so did our Oldmobile 88. And our Astro van (which isn't really a big car, but big enough). Meanwhile, every other person who comes into my work is looking for parts for a tercel, Saturn, civic, etc. The people who own the bigger cars just come in for maitenance parts, like brakes or spark plugs.

I'm driving my first small car right now (98 Grand Prix), and I feel a little uncomfortable about it... although it does handle a bit better than my 89 Caprice station wagon :p

17. yosoyjay macrumors regular

A grand prix is hardly a small car.

I don't mind paying much for gas. I think it is too damn cheap as it is. I wouldn't mind having to pay double.

18. guitargeek macrumors regular

Well, after driving a Caddy Deville and the aforementioned caprice, it's pretty small :)

It would croak me if I had to pay double, though.

19. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Whan whan whan whan, people in other regions like Japan and Europe, pay like $3~$5 a gallon, so stop bitching and crying about gas prices!!;) :p

20. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

'round my way it costs $1.10 a litre. that's approx $4.40 a gallon. you don't know how good you got it.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well prices here are higher than they've been in a long while...

I'm used to paying anywhere from $1.55-$1.65 per gallon...

I'm faced with $1.82-$1.90 this week... :(

while this is lower than most of u I'm sure...it's damned high here...

22. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

when my car broke down on 12-14-02 gas was $1.46.9 i started driving again recently and now gas prices are $1.81.9

and theres nothing you can do about it. :(

23. dreamlance macrumors regular

Man, and I thought paying $21 for a full tank was bad!

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you adjust for inflation gas prices in the US are lower overall than they were 15-20 years ago.

And current gas prices don't effect my driving habits 'cause I basically only drive to work or to the grocery store.

Lethal