Gas Widget

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PowermacG5, Sep 3, 2005.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Why is so incredible wrong all the time. Its saying I can get a gallon for 2.25. Its 3.30 where I live.

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Be thankfull it's not $6 like some places. It's between 3.50 and 4.00 by me, but there is no gas anywhere, it's all sold out.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Blame George.

Its fun for all the family, the whole world does the same and the best bit?

It really is his fault.

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

America will soon be travelling in time without a TARDIS, back to the 70's oil crash baby.

Shame its going to drag the rest of the world with it. :(

5. dxm113 macrumors member

Yeah, the fact that it's not ever reliable is annoying . . .

I removed it after a few days when i figured that out.

IIRC, the developer of the widget relies on another online database for its gas prices. And that online database relies on people like you and me to report the local prices if gas . . . so as you can see, the database is fairly unreliable.

Shame, could be really useful

6. Cfly macrumors regular

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It's Pres. Bush's fault that the gas widget has inaccurate prices? Wow, he really is powerful. ;)

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Well, you could blame dubya, but even i'll let him off small misbehaving apple programs.

After all, hes far too busy doing - whatever he does.

Which isn't much, is it? ;)

9. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

Blame Bush!

I also blame Bush that my family is safe, we have food to eat, clean clothes to wear, gas to put into our two vehicles, money to visit relatives, and classic Atari games recently purchased on eBay.

The gas widget is off in Phoenix, too BTW.

(obviously that first sentence is sarcastic, but true...and I usually thank God for everything anyways)

10. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The gas widget says that Premium in my area is $2.62 a gallon. For giggles i called the station. It is $3.40.
    Although the gas widget has always showed wrong prices.

And please take the Bush bashing to the political forum. Some of us would rather not run into that trash in a non-political forum. Thanks. :mad:

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why am i thanks bush for clean clothes?, he makes it hard for me to earn money and gives all the rich people tax cuts.

Also thank bush for those about 2000 died troops, he made a trade some america blood for some iraqi oil and yet still prices are really high.

Bush should put a $$$ amount cap on gass prices so insteed of average american spending more $$$ rich oil CEO make less $$$, in 03-04 oil CEO made on average a 109% increase of the $$$ the made per year( read that in the paper.

Thank you bush for all your screw ups!

ya bush is make us safe i mean iraq really attacked us i mean if bush had not attack them what would have happened?? o ya the UN would have handle it and not 2000 troops( american) would be died

12. Nutter macrumors 6502

Bush == God

13. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

My bad for talking politics. Hopefully others will follow suit. I agree with faintmember, though, the gas widget has never been correct and is basically pointless.

14. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Just wanted to let you know that i was not talking directly to anyone, but rather to everyone discussing Bush. If you want to discuss Bush and the effect he has on gas prices, search the political forum for a current thread or start your own in that forum.

The gas widget does not work, though i doubt that the widget in question has any political affiliation. :p

15. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

This wasnt supose to be a political question.

16. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I thought these Gas Widgets work based on what people send in to their database. So if no one in your area is sending in any info on what the current gas prices are, then they will obviously be a little off.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I thought that this thread was on a "Gas Widget", not Dubya. :confused:

Guess people did not like the direction your thread was going. :rolleyes:

18. savar macrumors 68000

savar

How is George Bush responsible for the increasing demand in China?

Make no mistake about it...oil prices will come down a smidge in the future, but this current "oil crisis" is not a temporary one. In fact, it will only get worse as more and more people in China buy cars. The world has a fixed supply, even if you ignore oil cartels like OPEC, and demand that is rapidly rising. Oil will cost more and more every month until we find some other energy source to turn to.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't like George Bush. I think he's smug, an idiot, and resembles a monkey both in appearance and mannerisms. He's completely inarticulate and although once was a pretty smart guy (see the gubernational debates vs. Ann Richardson) appears to have destroyed all of his critical brain cells. I just don't think its his fault in particular that oil prices are high. You could argue that the weak dollar contributes, but of course the weak dollar is the result of the Republican party platform -- nothing to do with GW in particular.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Karl Rove and the Red states. Hell, blame God...he's the one that has let millions of Christians in our country mistakenly believe that the Republican party is the holy party.

Anyway, sorry to get worked up. I feel like the US is currently a tragedy. When John Kerry lost last fall I was in deep depression for almost a week. I just can't help but think the U.S. is doing irreversible damage to itself. By the time I have kids (10 years out, I'm 22) I'm not sure if this will be the country that I want to raise them in.

19. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Although I very much disagree with your comments toward the end, you have made the most sense so far of any poster so far.

I find it hysterical that people can find some random magical correlation between Bush and high oil prices and blame him in one sentence without any explanation.

savar, you are in fact correct China is very responsible. If the fault here lies directly on the shoulders of Bush then why are prices up around the world? Why has gas seen a 100% increase here in Canada in the last 6 months? If the liberal John Kerry won the election I highly doubt gas prices would be any different. In Canada we have had liberals in power for a while now and we have seen the same problem. The fact is that this is a problem for the human race and not just for conservatives or liberals. It is simple economics here people.

One last ting I had to throw in is, I thought most liberals had the theory that Bush went into Iraq solely for oil. Wouldn't that new little acquisition drive oil prices down not up for the American people?

20. uburoibob macrumors regular

I guess you are lucky you don't live in New Orleans. Or Mississippi. Does Bush favor Phoenix?

21. vniow macrumors G4

Gee, thanx for turning this thread into a snakepit.

22. uburoibob macrumors regular

Way Past Politics

We are WAAAYYY past politics here. Politics was when "liberals" were warning "conservatives" that the Bush administration and the republican congress were taking America down a dark, scary road and that terrible things would result. Now that they have (the false war, the terrible economy, the failed energy policies, the steroid-fueled natural disasters, the social divide, the poor international standing, the inability of government to cover its bills, the inadequacy of our overly stressed defense, the poor showing in homeland security, the encroachment of forced religious affiliation...just to name a few things) we must lay blame where it is due - squarely on the people in power who have made all of this happen. It's time that they stood up like men and admit that these policies don't work. They never have. They never will. If only we could actually hold them responsible... PLEASE - bring back a country that functions for ALL of its constituents. It's pretty clear by now that God does NOT want George W. Bush on his side, and it's time for the Red States to see that.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

why the hell do you people keep talking politics in the Mac OS X forum

shut-up and get back on topic.

I have never used the Gas Widget and i don't think i ever will.

24. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

First, the widget question: If you flip it over, you should see options for displaying recent data, i.e., last 24 hours, etc. The default setting is for something like the last two weeks and you end up getting stale info if you don't change it to something more recent. Especially these days

The Bush admin thought it was fine for the value of the dollar to take a nosedive during Bush's first term in office. When the US dollar value fell, the price of foreign oil rose accordingly (with the Saudis citing the decreased value of the US dollar as one of the principle reasons when gas prices began to steadily rise in earnest.) Running the federal deficit into orbit without any obvious fiscal concern doesn't instill confidence that the the dollar is going to regain lost ground anytime soon.

Although I hardly believe oil was the primary motivation for the invasion of Iraq (a secondary motivation at best; and terrorism certainly wasn't the primary reason), you might check to see what Iraq's post-invasion oil production and capacity is before making an assumption regarding Iraq's ability to affect oil prices as things stand today.

25. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Real Problem with the gasprices (even before Katrina) is the following;

1) No new Refineries since 1970, and the ones that we do have are running at 99% capacity.

2) Huge demand from China and India, two places that have more than doubled their demand for oil.

3) People driving larger, less efficent vehicles. The whole SUV fiasco.

4) People not taking care of their older cars, most people don't care enough about their older cars to make sure they run their best. Those older cars burn so much gas when they are miss timed or haven't been tuned up in several years.

Not to mention that the Widget sucks.

TEG