Gates announces HD-DVD drive for 360

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Jan 4, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Coupled with the fact that Toshiba, Sony, and others are announcing Blu-Ray DVD players to be released as soon as March, this is already shaping up to be a GREAT year for HD.

I'm psyched to hear about this HD-DVD drive, but I am STILL holding my breath over whether anyone's going to release a combo Blu-Ray/HD-DVD DVD player for home theatre use.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

aint it funny that theres a big PSP ad right next to the story:) ok ok im guessing we will have to buy a add on for it.....sorry im saving my $$ for the REV and PS3 i already have the 360 and its fine without the extra but i wouldnt mind getting it if the price is right.

Bless

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Hmm how much will this cost? I would think not alot becuase most people will be pissed they didnt include one for the launch (but then again 1/2 of the consumers wont understand HD-DVD drives wernt ready then)

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

As an add-on? Not smart... not smart at all... Sony is going to include Blu-Ray playback into the PS3 right out of the box. It's not a death threat to the HD-DVD platform, but it's not helping it either.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think it's worth noting that this external HD-DVD drive does not preclude Microsoft putting HD-DVD drives in new Xbox 360s... and, keeping with the concept of a Core 360 vs. a Premium 360, not everyone will want to pay for HD-DVD if they don't plan to use it. Keeping it as an add-on, particularly when we don't really know how much a PS3 will cost with the expensive Blu-Ray drive, makes financial sense.

Microsoft already said that 360 games will NEVER be released in HD-DVD format, so this add-on is actually going to be targeted at a very small market... those who are using the 360 as their digital entertainment hub and who don't want a separate Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD player.

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Yeh, maybe last year Jobs was already giving the Keynote for 2006! SO he's a year ahead! I can't wait for PowerMac Intels on tuesday!

Yeh, it seems like a good year for HD. If this things ANY more than 150, count me out. And anyways, it would take up a USB port most likely.

EDIT: It's gonna look ****ing sweet on my 2405fpw!

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Given the data rates for HD-DVD, I wouldn't be surprised if it connects to the 360 through the Ethernet port with a pass-through for network communications.

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This was obviously a prepackaged press release as Bill hasn't even gotten to the topic yet in his keynote.:p

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I'm watching it right now and he hasn't mentioned it yet. (Some of the other stuff they've shown is cooooooooool....)

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Steve Jobs was only one year off. :p

Wouldn't this be kinda like a VHS/Betamax player? Kinda redundant if you ask me. I believe one or the other will flop and go into the trash with all of the betamax players. :(

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, but that ain't gonna happen right away, and I don't feel comfortable making a commitment to either platform until one of them is gone for good. Normally I'm one of the very earliest adopters, but this time I'm gonna hold off for a while, I think.

Format wars SUCK.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

But what will it be called in our Macs?! We have combo and superdrives now...

CD/CD-R/DVD/DVD-R/Blu-Ray - megadrive?
    CD/CD-R/DVD/DVD-R/Blu-Ray-R - uberdrive?

:)

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Super-Duper Drives?! :p

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I see a problem.....for mac users.

Toshiba just announced an HD-DVD player that will retail for $499. The xbox will include this.

However, blu-ray players that were announced today are retailing for over $1,000. I think Apple may be in a quandary. :eek:

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^really.....prices will drop...well they have to if they are going to compete with the HD-DVD. i still wont pay $499 for a DVD player i dont care how high def it is. i'll wait for it to slip in prices

Bless

16. kahos macrumors member

Hopefully its going to be a standard feature by the time i can get my hands on an xbox 360

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I like that - they could charge a nice premium on the hardware just by giving it that name ;).

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, technically Peter Moore announced it... but it's official.

And while I think it's possible that HD-DVD will become a standard feature in Xbox 360, I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon. Listen to people (even here) talk about the scary high prices of HD-DVD and (worse) Blu-Ray, and you'll understand why Microsoft wants to keep the cost down so they can get a bigger headstart on the PS3.

(Let's not forget, though, that when DVD players first came out in 1997, the cheapest ones were $500 then, too.)

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I see no problem. Apple is supporting both formats. They were a member of the DVD forum long before they announced they'd be supporting Blu-ray too. All their software will support burning to both formats.

No problem.

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Looks like i'm not buying a blu-ray or HD-DVD player until this standoff is settled. Whatever they come out with, It had better be backwards compatible with DVDs.

21. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

I really dont see the point of this add on unless its only going to be the laser and tray and let the 360 processor do the work (which hopefully would keep it very cheap). If its not cheap, its a total waste IMHO :rolleyes: M$ should have just waited a little longer and gotten the power brick/overheating/dvd scratch/and other general hardware failures straightened out and added HD-DVD instead of rushing the 360 to the market. Then maybe Halo 3 wouldn't be on 4 dvd's! Im still getting one, and Im going to love it, but its kind of a shame. Oh well...

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ha!

We already have those. Guess what Apple were calling double-layer DVD writers internally :)

I just felt like quoting and confirming this, because a lot of people seem to ignore the HD-DVD side of things - the more exposure, the better! :D

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Perhaps they'll release an HD-DVD version of Halo 3, on one disc instead of four, to spur on sales of the external HD-DVD drive?

Oh, and EVERY game console has its problems when it makes its way into the Real World.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorta cliched but...

... Doesn't it look like MS are going the way of Sega... just with this extra drive scenario? Sega CD anyone?

So thats (using rough numbers)... £270 console, £100 games, £70 wifi adapter, £120 HD-DVD player. £560. jesus. I worry about the sanity of gamers and how they've become a slave to paying this kind of money because its new.

Good idea for MS not to use it for games though. that would near on destroy the console... HDD? internet connection? HD-DVD? when there's the Rev and PS3 in the corner with one flavour to suit all.

and do we really need another external object to go with our 360s?

I laugh in MS general direction :rolleyes: