Gates buys thousands of ibooks! (or at least helps support them)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flyfish29, Apr 20, 2004.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you don't believe me check out the pic below and the link.

http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/maine/

Crazy world huh! And to think I was ripping Bill the Bully just the other day for his unethical business practices...this makes me rethink at least a litte of what I said. :D

Attached Files:

2. powerbook4me macrumors member

He is just one of those great guys.

He could fund a small country with the amount of donations he puts out.

3. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Let's not get carried away now. Soon, we'll have someone nominating him for Time's Man of the Year, and then I just have to hang myself.

He could throw even more out without batting an eye. I have a hard time taking it seriously when people are lauded for chump change proportional donations. A quarter from a homeless man is the same gesture as a million from Gates.

4. powerbook4me macrumors member

And that quarter from that homeless man is not a great deed?

Come on now... :rolleyes:

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Actually I think if you cruch the numbers which I tried to do a couple of times the percentages work out to a penny donation from a middle class income family! which of course in my mind is not a great deed...especially considering so many people have lost their jobs due to M$'s unethical business practices. :mad:

6. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

You're right, my comparison sucked. That quarter, with a little searching for change, will get the homeless man a cheap meal at McDonalds. A million dollars is so tiny that Gates would never notice it if it were gone.

That is what I was trying to say. Microsoft or Gates giving a paltry million is a shallow PR gesture, not a genuine one.

7. powerbook4me macrumors member

100's of millions.......

And no, its not a PR gesture.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've always know there to be a lot of stupid people in the world, but even I didn't think Billy Boy was that stupid.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

MS may suck, but Gates is not a bad guy. He gives away hundreds and hundreds of millions. Yes, he's worth ~$50 billion, but remember, he doesn't exactly have that lying around in cash. His worth is almost all due to MS stock. In terms of cash, he's giving away a significant portion.

Also, say what you want about how much it is to him - it's a lot of money for the people it's helping. There was an article in the Times a few weeks ago about the Gates Foundation and the work it does. Gates helps a *lot* of very needy people.

10. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

You don't know that any more than I know that it is. Just call it your opinion and be done with it.

Also, to the later poster... So what? I'm a poor college student, and yet I manage to help raise proportionally far more of my personal worth than Gates does for those who are in even greater need than I am. When I was in highschool, I participated in events that would bring in over $1000 a night for local charities, food banks, shelters, and other tangible, real needs.

At the time, I was worth less than $10,000 a year, yet I gave out of my own pocket on every occasion.

11. powerbook4me macrumors member

Go check out where Mr. Gate's money is going when he passes away. Then you tell me why he would do that "for good PR"

So those people who helped you out(the people who actually gave their money those nights you made $1,000) that only gave a little bit: Are they not as good because they only paid a little bit to help your events?

12. cjc343 macrumors 6502

It is funny, but it doesn't sound like Bill's $$$ are going towards Apples, it sounds like it is more of a general fund.

Microsoft is bad, they are an evil monopoly, that doesn't make Bill Gates a bad person. He could be a bad person, but I don't think he is. The same applies to M$ employees, they work for m$, that doesn't make them bad people.

[edit: Read carefully, not all of it is from Gates.....]

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just remember, Stalin was also Man of the Year...

14. powerbook4me macrumors member

And hitler

and einstein....and a lot of other people :p

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

We had word that the Gates Foundation was going to pay for new computers at our university. Everything was all set and the money was about to be sent. Then they learned that we had ordered Macs. They cancelled their donation and we had to scramble to find the money to pay for our order from other sources. I am now convinced that the primary motivation for computer donations to schools is to make sure Macs do not become a threat to Microsoft again.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well don't forget that Macs also run VPC and Office, two of the more expensive products from Microsoft. What's prolly not said is that each laptop will carry MS Office and VPC. More money than if it was a regular PC with Windows and Office.

17. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

We all know that Bill is a giver, why haven't I ever seen these types of articles about mr. jobs.

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

this is a shot in the dark but an earlier poster mentioned gates giving significantly from his pocket rather than from the stocks.
    i don't know a ton about the stock market, but for charity or otherwise if gates suddenly liquidated a chunk of his stock options it would be noticed and the stock would drop...so it might be a business decision to keep that worth separate in terms of donations.
    *not defending him, just offering up the possibility that he's covering his interests*

20. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Time almost made Bin Laden man of the year, but a large portion of their subscribers threatened to cancel their subscriptions.

21. cait-sith macrumors regular

why not pick on the ikea ceo? he's got more cash than gates.

22. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Gates did not go to the Apple Store and buy a bunch of iBooks. Through his incredibly generous Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation gave a lot of money to increase technology in Maine's schools. Maine decided to give 7th/8th graders iBooks.

Don't bash the man, his company may suck, but he gives away millions each year to help others.

23. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Simple... He's the kind of egomaniac who wants to be remembered fondly, so he takes the ill-gotten goods of his life and tries to be seen in another light once he's passed on and it doesn't do him any good anymore.

Yes. I'll bite the bullet.

They didn't give as much as I did, proportionally, so I was being more charitable than they were.

Does he make a pretense of being charitable? If so, then I have the same problem with him that I do with Gates.

24. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

It was the IKEA founder, not the CEO, and he was never richer than gates. THat was an error by a swedish mag that overestimated how the company's worth related to Ingvar's own worth. Here is Forbes follow-up article about it Article.

25. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Gates Foundation

Bill's company may suck, but he is putting a lot of his personal proceeds to good work:

http://gatesfoundation.org/AboutUs/

You'll notice his father and wife are both heavily involved.

As for Jobs... he may have a $1 salary... but he has a HUGE stock option package:

http://www.macnn.com/news/23806

To best illustrate the point do a google search for bill gates charity vs steve jobs charity:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=bill+gates+charity&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=steve+jobs+charity&btnG=Google+Search

Not much more to say really.

:rolleyes: