Gates challenges auto industry to embrace technology

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iWantAMac, May 1, 2005.

1. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/29/01-166755.htm

Theres' a few things that could be said here... obvious things, but I'll leave it.

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Let the man start with PCs first :p .

In case of accident you will get the message:

"Are you sure you want to use the airbag?" <No, Cancel, Abort>

Give me a break gates... hot & sexy CEO :rolleyes:

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    but cars that arent dangerous cant be hot and sexy!!! who wants to drive a vauxhauL!!!

and as for not crashing...fix ur os first then move on to cars!!!

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The only reason they would need software to fix the car would be if Bill had them put his software there in the first place

I second that AmigoMac, let the Hot & Sexy fix the software from crashing first :p

Also funny that Bill is challenging others but can't meet his (or MS) ones

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Jesus christ, I hope to god that they don't let PCs do anything important..

HDTV in cars? It hasn't even kciked off in homes yet. Who the hell needs HDTV in cars? There is a reason why hardly anyone has a TV in their car...it's pointless..

Gates must be on crack. He should get his OS fixed first and then try to tackle new markets. Before h was just an annoyance. Now he's REALLY pissing me off.

This might make me sound like a savage, but I'm surprised nobody's shiot the guy yet, with the amount of people that dislike him/.

6. angelneo macrumors 68000

Prove that your OS cannot be crash then you move on to cars. An everyday critical application that are used thousands of times by millions of people all over the world everyday cannot afford to crash. If it behaves like their current OS, we would have thousands of death everyday. It's a joke that he is talking about putting his technology in cars when he cannot even fix his freakin OS bugs.

7. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I hope this article is a joke, because it made me laugh really hard.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it would be scary knowing that my car is running windows, i dont know what i would do at that point. Gates just likes to make these while propositions sometimes to stay in the limelight i think. stuff like this really isnt around the corner just yet, its comming sure, but its awhile off

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

So the idea is, "Let me install Windows on my car to keep it from crashing"?

Seems pretty boneheaded to me!

***Goes to jump into a swimming pool to get out of the rain***

10. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

That's true - gates is always 'challenging' one industry or another to use his software - he's right, windows is a challenge to use!

The redmond PR team was probably just bored..

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

It won't be pointless when your ***** car drives its ***** self around so you can watch some quality HD movies or something.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

LOL!

Anyone remember the old GM letter?

True story for those that haven't heard it. Bill Gates made a joke about how MS keeps up with technology way better than the car industry, and if Microsoft was GM we'd all be driving cars with 1000 miles per gallon.

The president responded by sending Bill Gates this list:

If Microsoft was GM...

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ''Car95'' or ''CarNT.'' But then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five per cent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ''general car default'' warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say ''Are you sure?'' before going off.

10. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grab hold of the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You'd press the ''start'' button to shut off the engine.

----

Anyway, lets hope nobody listens to Gates, or the Blue Screen of Death will be literal as our cars crash off the road :p

13. spinner macrumors regular

Mechanics have a hard time diagnosing car problems now. Imagine how things will be when they install Windows. Then we'll have to take the car in for its monthly reinstall. What would a "car virus" do? Cause the car accelerate out of control or better yet disable braking function? Yeah, lets embrace that technology there Billy Bob, especially that steamy pile you call an OS.

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

If I'm shopping for a car and determine that that M$ is onboard a particular brand, I will not buy it.

15. SteveC macrumors 6502

LOL.

Installing Windows in a car to keep it from crashing is a hilarious irony.

It's almost as amusing as the oxymoron, "Microsoft Works."

16. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

It's already happened... the new "supercar" from Peugeot (the 907 - V12 500hp) has a Windows embedded operating system. Apparently on its first test drive for the car magazine Evo, whenever the engine stalled, the computer crashed, and you had to wait for it to reboot before you could start the ignition again!!! Absolutely true!!!

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Be careful! Running the car, radio, winshield wipers, AND air conditioning at the same time will result in a freeze.

Luckily, Microsoft's design helps these crashes and keeps the car from, uh, crashing...

(Sorry, it was a quick photoshop job...)

[​IMG]

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hey dotdotdot, what car was that taken from? It looks strangely familiar.

But on the topic of bringing the auto industry up-to-date, I reckon Gates has a point. He's going about it the wrong way (no car deserves Windows) but cars really should catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to technology. The modern mobile (cellphone) has more advanced features than the average car, and considering the price paid for the average set of wheels, I think the industry should really be doing better. Sure, BMW made an attempt with iDrive but that's really only just a start (and a pretty lame one at that!)

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh please no.

Seriously, whenever skeptics complained about drive by wire by saying, "I mean, how often do you expect your computer not to crash and it does? We don't want computers in our cars!" I think, 'Oh come on people, you're just used to Windows. Use a Linux embedded system, or Mac OS X sometimes. A car with Linux embedded would be as stable as a rock.'

But now they have a valid complaint. Windows in a car. Armagedon is coming.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Microsoft in my car?

NO THANKS!!

I will stick with my BSD based ECU and driver aids :)

22. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Wasn't there also an event when some important person got locked in his own car, a BMW with iDrive (running Windows CE) when the computer crashed and set the alarms off?

I'll see if I can find a link

UPDATE: Here it is:

http://asia.cnet.com/news/systems/0,39037054,39130270,00.htm

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You beat me to it! ;)

The BMW 7-series with iDrive was a Windows-based disaster. I imagine auto industry executives are giggling over this command directive from The Gates. As if they haven't got enough to worry about without having their cars run like a Microsoft PC!

Bill Gates: never has anyone been so successful by being so utterly clueless.

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hahahahahahahahahaha

You have been watching WAY too many movies.

Go put your head back in Bill's lap.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I challenge Microsoft, Ford and GM to make good products individually before trying to combine them.

I'm guessing Microsoft is having some problems sustaining growth lately.

Computers are an inevitability in cars, but I HOPE it is not windows based.