Gates Funds Computer Museum

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kernow, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Link

Seems like a very good idea, but I'd question the involvement of Bill Gates in the proceedings - he's hardly an impartial benefactor.

It does seem that there is some space for Apple though

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well if SJ wants to pony up some money, he can be involved in the museum's future, too. It's not like either guy really feels a $15M donation.

P.S. Post #3,000 -- just made a little computing history of my own!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe, but at least he's doing it. Just like he gives billions to charity. Does Mr Jobs do the same? (I know it wouldn't be to the same degree exactly, but still).

I think it's easy to criticize him (god knows there are plenty of reasons too!), but he does do quite a lot for people out of his own cash (of which there is plenty to go round).

4. Kernow thread starter macrumors 65816

Kernow

Absolutely agree - he has given a lot of money to a lot of good causes. It's just that this one seems very close to his business activities. :)

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He does actually. Steve may not give away as much, but he does give. It's just not very well publicized.

And no, Bill Gates isn't evil. He's done a lot of questionable things in his life, and I am no fan, but he did marry well. I hear his wife is quite good at getting him to spend his money, and the publicity is good, but at least he's giving to a good cause, so I'll give him points. Just don't wait on him when he goes out to eat. He doesn't tip very well (if at all).

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Has Bill Gates actually donated $2 billion or more?

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

He plans to give 1/10th of a percent of his money to each of his children when he dies, the rest goes to charity, so he claims... I think it'll be more than 2 billion :rolleyes:

8. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

There's an english philosopher (can't remember his name) that gives the maximum amount he can to charity. His family live on a fair amount and the rest goes to charity. Also, most Mormon's give 10% of their income to the Church to help the poor. I wonder what % Gates gives away...I wonder how much his tax bill is...

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'd donate this for display.

Attached Files:

11. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Bill is just wanting to ensure there will be a windows machine left somewhere after apple takes over the computing world.

Hey, if you gotta dream, dream big.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Can't blame a guy for trying can you? Heck, where is there a better place for a windows pc than in some museum. There it can serve as a constant reminder of the mistakes that humans have made in the past. :) ;)