Gates gives another $250 million to fight disease

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dobbin, May 16, 2005.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Well, you can say what you like about Bill Gates, and most people on these forums do, but you can't deny he's not doing some good with his money.

Billy's donation link

(I still think his software is rubbish though :D)

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Pocket change for him, but still is very thoughtful. windows suck, office is ok though :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

A million a day keeps the tax man away... :p

At least it is helping someone out there. ;)

4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

It was so cool, the other day, I was putting on a shirt to go to work, and inside the front pocket, was $7.

Pretty much the same thing... BFD, Bill.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

the guy might be a tool, but at least he gives some of his *vast* fortune away.

although it is kinda obvious how these are pr stunts. i mean, does he *have* to announce it every time he gives money away? wow bill, well done, but do you *have* to brag about it? geez :rolleyes:

and if you do want to bragg, at least do something fun and creative instead of just writing a check and sending a press release. do some charity concerts or something..

/now im gonna go watch the video where he gets pied :D :D :D

6. gwangung macrumors 65816

Well, not quite...at least not for Billy....most people don't know how the philanthropic world works. Major gifts ALWAYS gets press releases and press coverage unless made anonymously. The donor organization ALWAYS insists on it, because it helps them a lot more than Gates.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Through his foundation he has given BILLIONS to charity. He's a decent guy...in that sense ;)

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

fair enough, but he's always paying his own charities..

anyway, i know it's not *just* a pr stunt, but it certainly does help raise the profile of the guy that most people despise, right?

9. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

10. gwangung macrumors 65816

Mostly, but those charities are HUGE. They give out a billion a year or so. And when you establish your own foundations, you generally are able to give more out, over a longer length of time. And he just keeps adding to his foundation's asset base (though the gift in question came from his foundation).

Well, there's the chicken and the egg factor...as the world's richest man, what he does attracts more attention than anyone else---anything he does will get press attention. And when the charity in question WANTS to wave his name around, to generate more funds using his name....that's not really HIS fault or a bad thing, is it?

That said....giving him a pie in the face isn't a bad thing either....

11. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I saw Gates called "the greatest philanthropist in history" the other day. Pretty amazing, especially when you think about the Rockefellers and Carnegies. Whether you love or hate his products, he's stepping up to the plate big time. You have to admire that, IMO.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    just be glad that someone out there is getting the help they need, who cares who its from

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

excellent point

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Was this $250m a cash donation or more free Microsoft licenses? Or perhaps a bit of both...

15. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Top man! Good on him.

Now let's hear all of the idiots with their "Oh he's so rich it's like me giving £5 to charity" comments. When was the last time you visited India to commit to helping raise awareness of AIDS or gave a speech to the World Health Assembly urging countries to try and stop suffering and death? Are your donations responsible so far for the vaccinations of more than 10 million children, preventing more than 100,000 premature deaths? No? Then don't be such a tool by rubbishing the good work that Bill does. Regardless of whether you don't like his software or you resent the fact that he's so rich it's pretty low to slam the guy for being a philanthropist and caring about his fellow humans.

</rant>

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well said :cool:

17. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

exactly, that's one point we must all remember. no matter who gives it, the money is still needed.

18. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Oh, OK. Fine. I was a jerk in my comment... However, based on the way his company opperates, you cant blame people for being suspiscious of his intentions. He's a bit Jekle and Hyde... his company will do every underhanded trick in the book the stamp out te competition, but on the other hand he gives "billions" to charities. Odd.

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

That wasn't a direct pop at you mate - it just gets on my nerves when people make snide remarks about such generosity and caring.

As for the other - he's a businessman and i'm sure that's how he got where he is today, by being a bit ruthless. Show me a businessman that doesn't want to be the best and eradicate the competition.....

20. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Sometimes I feel bad for Bill Gates.

I mean... he tries so hard.

And yet, he still sucks.

:p

21. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

If he doesn't announce it, pricks will continue to diss him for not giving anything away. Course, seems like people will diss him for not giving *enough* away anyway.

Wise up; he gave $250m. May be pocket change to him, but it's still a ****load of money.

So let's see, assuming we can't work on punitary values, what's a suitable percentage for him to give to charity? Because I'm assuming you donate the same percentage of your annual income to charity as you expect Bill Gates to, right?

andy.

Edit: Same things been said above.

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I have heard him say in interviews that most of his money is going to the foundation after his and his wife's death. His kids won't have to work for a living but he wants to make sure that his grandkids will.

23. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

so he bought some apple stock?

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I see no reason to feel bad for Bill Gates. He is a self made billionaire, he made it the old fashioned way. His money is going to help those less fortunate. I look it as the duty of the rich. Previously the rich was starting to shy away from beneficence.

25. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Thats OK, even if it was at pop at me. I dont get offended too easily. Especially when I'm a bit in the wrong...

Your right, though. Sometimes we get caught up in hating Bill no matter what he does. I will still stick to my assertion that this isnt necessarily fueld by "generosity and caring" though. The company I work for often gives very charitably to good causes (not THAT charitably, though), and even though some thought goes into who gets the money, it is ALWAYS something that will benefit the company in some way. With Bill's reputation, I'm sure there is a lot of benefit to him for all of his "charitable" donations. Wether its tax breaks or somehow intrenching his product in places, its all coming back to Bill some way, I'm sure.

When you and I dig down into our pockets and give to the Tsunami relief (or whatever), its fueled by our wanting to help our fellow man. And, there is not some sort of pay back or alterior motive (unless just feeling good counts). I'm not so sure thats necessarily the case with Billy Boy, though...