Gates intends to crush Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, May 4, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.techspot.com/story17521.html

I will be most amused if, after all this MS ranting of "We will crush Sony!" and Sony's "We will crush Microsoft!", Nintendo pwns them both.

Spong (with their reputation for reliability, or lack thereof) quotes Bill Gates for:

What do you guys think of the possibility of XBox becoming a Media Center PC extension?

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

a chipped xbox is already an extention to a pc. i dont think id be using my xbox right now if i didnt chip it. serious, everyone who has an exbo, put an X3 and a bigger HDD in it and the doors of endless possibilities are wide open for you.

with my xbox, i brows the internet (Simple HTTP, i.e no java scripts :( ), play all forms of media (except h.264) play all classic games, stream internet media, play networked gaming (not live) for free, i havent put linux on it yet,but im thinking of it :rolleyes:

the next xbox (360 ? ) will blow everyone away. i can see people running OS X based s*ht on it, since it will be powered by 3x PPC processors (?)

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Remember though, that those PowerPC processors are not full G5's.

It should be fairly powerful, but I fully expect Microsoft to take every measure possible to prevent people from installing Linux and OS X :(

If Linux CAN be installed, then OS X likely can, perhaps through Mac-on-Linux. IF OS X can be installed on the XBox, I *MIGHT* consider buying one, but otherwise...

I already have a computer for media, internet browsing, and streaming video. I don't feel the need to spend $400+ (for XBox 360 + hard drive + any mods required) for that, especially when I'm already planning on the Nintendo Revolution for games unless Nintendo completely screws up somehow, and when I already own a PVR.

Maybe when the price goes down...

Interestingly, ALL of the next gen consoles appear to be using PowerPC processors. Well, Sony is using Cell with a PowerPC processor core in the middle.

Microsoft tends to put blocks specificly to prevent people from installing Linux. Hopefully this time around we can mod ALL the consoles to run Linux and/or OS X :D

4. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Yeah... those Cell processors in the PS3 sure do suck! :rolleyes: ;)

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It looks to me like Microsoft is going to try to stuff the XBox 360 with multimedia capabilities, because due to the earlier launch date it cannot *quite* compete on the gaming capabilities. The Revolution should outdo it featurewise if the rumors are true, and the PS3 hardware-wise.

So MS will stuff it with multimedia capabilities, and hype it to get people to buy it before the other systems come out.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with media capabilities, but hey, that's what my desktop and PVR are for...when I (PERSONALLY) buy a console I just want gaming.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think the Xbox 2 might do okay in the USA...but I doubt it'll sell well in Japan, given how big of a flop the first Xbox was there. I don't know how well it'll do elsewhere.

I'm sure Microsoft's decision to make the user interface based on Windows XP Media Center Edition will be an important factor in many people's decision to buy or not to buy. It's enough to turn me off immediately.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It already is. I have the Media Center Extender for my Xbox, and I can use it to play music and videos stored on my PC, on my TV. It'll be nice to actually have this functionality built into the Xenon, so that you don't have to insert a different CD just to access those types of things.

8. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

This made me laugh. Bill's been pretty calm and charitable lately, so it's nice to see that he still has his megalomaniacal desires to crush the competition. :D

9. wide macrumors 6502a

i hope the next one isn't as ugly. i like the streamlined look of the PS2 and especially of the new, compact form-factor PS2

10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I actually like that design. It's one of the better ones I've seen from anyone outside of Apple.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know the new xobx will make some headway in the console market, but i doubt very much that they will simply crush sony, especially because sony has such a good history with their equipment

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It will be interesting to see how the next round of consoles go. Sony pretty much had a cake walk when they launched the PS2, but in the end though M$ won over a lot of people and I think they have the momentum right now. Nintendo still has a solid core fanbase and can get right back into the fight if what they release has more mainstream appeal than the GC.

Lethal

14. firststrike101 macrumors member

Has anyone ever thought Microcrap hired apple to design the Xbox 360? It has some simularities to the G5 tower design, and how it was emulated on a G5 too. Maybe this could be apple's way of getting into gaming.

15. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Well, I hope that they don't crush Sony, purely for the reason that if they do, then the gaming market will stagnate for years. Microsoft is the opposite of innovation. Once they dominate the market, they will only concentrate on locking-in consumers, and milking them for more money (like the online gaming tax).
    But we all know that already.

I reckon that a lot of people will buy both machines, or perhaps a PSP. But I can't see the majority of households buying into the online services that Gates and co. obviously plan to combine with the XBox (as media centre). I expect we'll hear Gates announce that the new XBox will be your new music centre, downloading via the subscription basis. We still don't have fast enough broadband for movies. They have to make money off the XBoxes, and they won't do that from the consoles themselves...

16. drewyboy macrumors 6502a

I think there is much wishful thinking on those who want an Xbox. Let's face it, M$ is only jumping the gun w/ Xbox2 cuz they know they could not compete against the PS3. Last i heard, all three systems, Sony,MS,Nin. were to come out this upcoming winter. An all out battle, which would be sweet. Well i for one never was a fan for Xbox...all it has is halo.. and the capability to use huge hardrives w/ games on them :rolleyes: But hands down ps3 w/ cell. Sony has been around a lil longer than MS in the hardware department... i think Sony know's what they are doing, and MS has no where to go cuz they are screwing them selves cuz their software just aint cut'n it anymore. hmm...somebody's feeling the pressure :)

PS. In the pics above..where is the second controller input??? :p
    Let me guess..bluetooth?? LOL

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

hmm.. Nintendo is to come winter 2006. Is PS3 coming this winter?

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

nope
    coming winter 2006 as well
    (but i thougth that the nintedo comes fall or earlier )

19. Uma888 macrumors 6502

I hope the xbox 360 dont turn out like the dreamcast, remember when it came out? it was the fastest gaming platform, and that was its downfall. :eek:

20. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

Its going to be tough to beat Sony and Nintendo here in Japan. I own a PS2, gamecube and X-box. I love the X-box (i bought it second-hand so no profit for MS)...I got it to play the English versions of KOTOR, KOTOR 2 and all the other star wars games that you can buy for the X-box (in Japan, You can buy "World collection" games - the manual is in Japanese but the game is in English - I hate playing RPG's in Japanese)...but I have to travel to the centre of Tokyo to find games....most of the stores around me - only have 2 or 3 games (and you can forget about second-hand games)....

Sony and Nintendo are everywhere....The main point is the Japanese buy Japanese products and two other reasons that the X-box has failed here are..

1) within the first couple of months of the x-box being released here, There was a problem with scratched disks and Microsoft took along time responding to customers complaints.
    2) Japanese gamers like japanese style games eg: RPG, Puzzle not the point and kill first person shooters that western gamers like to play so for the x-box 360 to do well - it must have good RPG's...

21. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

profit

MS loses money in every X-box, so the more you buy the more money they lose! (sony makes a profit of every ps2)

22. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Hmm.. I didn't know that. Good thing to analyze a market before dropping a product into it. :D Imo, RPGs twists circles around FPS. I guess no matter how much ka-boom you push into a game, it won't get any better if there's no more to it than that.. :(

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo hasn't announced a release date, the only thing they've said is that they will time their launch to beat the PS3 out. That's about all.

XBox 360 is winter 2005. The others are sometime in 2006 but we don't know when- it could be the beginning or the end.

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hired Apple? More like copy :p

25. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, Cell won't make a bit of difference in rendering. Outside of physics and AI, it's wasted silicon.

But the Cell should give the PS3 the best processor, and the last system to launch always has the best graphics card, so the PS3 should still be the best if it stays last.

That black thing is a remote control receiver, not a controller input. They're all wireless.