Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Ok, I'm planning a trip into NYC for a couple days this week to check out the Gates and whatever else we feel like doing...

So what does everyone think about them?

Love 'em? Hate 'em? No clue what I'm talking about?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think they're cool looking (judging by pics, haven't and won't drive five hours to see them in person). They didn't use any taxpayer money, and I think that it'd be hard to find them offensive in any way. In any event, they're temporary. Not as bold as other work from these artists, but certainly still art on a grand scale.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
We're coming from CT so our trip will be much shorter. Hopefully there will be snow on the ground there tomorrow from today's storm. That should look cool. :cool:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I will admit that when I looked at the title, thought that you were talking about Bill Gates.

I'm pleased to hear that the steel was made in the US, since there has been a problem with imported steel. After reading the article, yes I remember hearing about this article. I happen to like that particular color of saffron. The exhibit looks impressive. If a person has the time, the exhibit seems to be well worth the time.

You should be sure to visit the SoHo Apple Store & J & R Music also.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Lyle said:
Does anyone know how long they're going to be there? We're not planning to be back in New York until the first weekend in June.
They're only going to be there for about another week... coming down around February 27th or so.

And I like 'em... they're temporary, so people who don't like them need to take a chill pill. The only thing I might have changed would be the color... something in a bluish hue might have been nicer. But hey, I ain't the artist.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
wdlove said:
I will admit that when I looked at the title, thought that you were talking about Bill Gates.

I'm pleased to hear that the steel was made in the US, since there has been a problem with imported steel. After reading the article, yes I remember hearing about this article. I happen to like that particular color of saffron. The exhibit looks impressive. If a person has the time, the exhibit seems to be well worth the time.

You should be sure to visit the SoHo Apple Store & J & R Music also.

Hahhahh - Nope, Not Billy G this time...

I was thinking about stopping by the SoHo store, but I don't know if my girlfriend will want to...I don't think she'll be able to appreciate a flagship store compared to the one at our local mall...

Anyway, I think it will be fun to check out, so I'm looking forward to it. Regardless, I view it as a good excuse to take a couple days off from work for a little getaway!

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Serious question: Why did they use steel? Wouldn't wood have been better for a temporary structure of this type? Plus its renewable, which never hurts.

krimson

macrumors 65816
Phatpat said:
Serious question: Why did they use steel? Wouldn't wood have been better for a temporary structure of this type? Plus its renewable, which never hurts.

I believe wood would have driven the cost up, and would make them heavy and not as "clean" looking. Steel is much easier to recycle into industrial uses, as they did with other projects.

(Sadly, i was supposed to go opening day, but i had an ear infection... a plane ride would have killed me.)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Well, I'm back now, and I enjoyed them - As another poster mentioned, the interaction of people with the gates was one of the things I liked. Either with us directly or by just sitting on a bench with a snack and watching others.

There are volunteers that use these long poles with tennis balls on the end to unfurl the fabric if it got flipped up in the wind. We saw them fix one and the crowd that gathered to watch started clapping & cheering when it unfurled. Kind of silly but it gives a good example of the positive energy of all the people there walking around.

And it is cool when a gust of wind comes up while you're looking at a several gates at once. Or when the sun would pop through the clouds and really light up the orange fabric.

Overall, I think I liked it more than I thought I would - I recommend checking it out if you live in the greater NYC area.

On a materials note, the steel beams almost had a plastic feel to them when we knocked on them, like they were coated in plastic or something. Not really sure though...I was going to ask someone but forgot...

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 53
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Image-3.jpg
    Image-3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 59

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
they are steel poles, but they have an outside plastic tube colored orange. i guess they couldn't have the steel colored orange.

hmm, anodized aluminum. sound familiar? heh ;)

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
how long

anyone remember how long they will be there?

would be cool if i could make it out to see them
but not sure it will fit in

thanks!

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
gallagb said:
anyone remember how long they will be there?

would be cool if i could make it out to see them
but not sure it will fit in

thanks!

Just until the end of the month. They will only be up for 16 days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.