Gates patents e-picture hanging

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 1, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  2. macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    It seems to tie in with the distribution of electronic art. I guess that coud be the future, although I would much rather see an actual painting than a digital image of one on a monitor.
  3. thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    it's a cool idea if you use your own imagery... but if say you decide to have the Mona Lisa above your fireplace... it becomes abit Athena 'Poster' tack if you ask me... :p
  4. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It sounds like a novel idea for the geek that has everything. I prefer to have my original art collection.

Someday I would like to have a plasma TV hanging on the wall.
  5. macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    Ceiva anyone?

I am amazed what people can patent! Next thing I will be in some kind of patent violation situation when I look at art on my LCD??...
    The idea of having pictures managed and served from a central location to a picture frame has been around for a while, and the consumer product Ceiva ( has been around for at least 2 years.
  6. macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Yep, chalk up another blunder to the stupidity of the Patent Office.

It's amazing how badly they do their job; it goes way beyond mere incompetence.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
  8. macrumors 68020

Jan 20, 2003
    New York
    i'd like this for pictures, not whole pieces of art. this is possible, problem is, i can't find one for less that $130 USD, and it's usb and holds about 11 pictures.i was going to get one for my mom for christmas, but i can't buy it. too expensive.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    I like the idea of digital picture frames too, but you're right...they are too expensive. Getting a print and switching them out every so often is much cheaper. Plus, if I were to get a digital picture frame for my mother, I know I'd be the one updating the pictures for her. I'd rather just order her a 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 or whatever.
  10. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    :walks up to the pattent office:'
    Me -- I'd like to Pattent this :holds it up:
    Teller -- Wow, thats pretty neat... never seen something like that before... what do you call it?
    Me -- "Fire "
    Teller -- Fancy Name... let me check our record books for any matching documents
    Nope your all good... sign here, here, here, here, Initials here, and signature here, here and here.
    Me -- Thanks!

;) :p
  11. macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
  12. macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Yeah, that's a cool hack, but it's a little saddening to me to see a nice machine like a Duo all carved up like that :(

Wonder if you could cut up something ugly like an NEC or something instead for the same purpose?