Gates says Wii biggest competition not PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I read this on gamespot apprently gates told a reporter at CES that he is more worried about Wii than PS3. Is this PR or is Gates, correct? Will Sony sell all those PS3 that are in stock now?

2. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

First its - buy a Wii360...and after a surprisingly polwerful launch - Wii is now a competitor; these statements make sense.
    But you'll never here MS not condesend Sony with their comments.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hell no. But they're a fantastic way to gauge consumer anticipation and excitement. When that's all we have to measure how popular something is then devs have to make decisions about porting or exclusively developing for a product. Notice it took until the DS Lite (or till the DS was really far ahead of the PSP) that all these killer games were announced like Dragon Quest, FFwhatever?

Haha. good ol' Bill. The Wii is catching up to the 360 despite only being out a month or 2 (dependant on location). I've been saying for a while that theres only room for one of the 2 power consoles on the market, looks like Bill agrees too.

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=93548

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow, that SCEA guy sounds like regular internet fanboys. I'd expect a little more from execs. He seems to think they're invulnerable, bringing up PS1, PS2 and PSP. Does this guy not know how much it's rival is trouncing the PSP or that its carrying a dud format?

That's like me saying "well the NES and SNES were very good so that means you should trust with the N64". heh. I mean really, Atari were on top, then Nintendo, then Sony. The whole past 2 decades have shown that the gaming public change. Brand loyalty has nothing in the long run. I hated MS for years but I got an Xbox and soon a 360.

No. Devs just aren't confident with Sony (the whole exclusives fiasco), consumers aren't confident (Rootkit fiasco, plenty of stock in shops). Glad to see the Sony execs are still proud though.

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Right because MS is saying Sony is talentless......who sounds like the younger more immature internet fanboy?
    Someone retorting to a slanderous comment with sales figures, or the name caller.....:cool:

He's merely stating that past trends PROVE otherwise, and that MS is blowing hot air out of their arses.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Right. Because the PS3 and 360 sales records are so similar.

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I completely disagree.

The PS3 has had a horrible launch, not only plagued by supply issues, but also because of the fact that there are units sitting on store shelves and no one's buying them. That's a HUGE problem for Sony.

Now let's consider the Wii launch. Enormous success! Even now you'd be very hard pressed to find a unit in a store, and Nintendo has produced millions more units than Sony has of the PS3.

Granted these are just launch details, but since that's all we have to go by right now then we must look at them and try to gauge popularity. And from Microsoft's standpoint, it seems obvious who the real competitor is right now.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

....and? The 360 had an even worse launch, whats your point?
    MS has been slamming PlayStation even before PlayStation was "plagued" with all these "problems" you guys are elluding to.
    I'm talking about back when PS2 was owning xbox, MS was talking crap even when they were "losing."
    (and here they are still talking crap)
    Um, what kind of figures do we have to compare?
    6 weeks of Japan sales
    2 weeks of US sales
    and no UK launch yet.

Your are right they are very disimilar. Give it time, be patient. Things will become clearer.

11. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

We have more than 2 weeks?...Don't we???

12. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Sony's new credo

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

getting sick and tired of all these threads turning into flaming fanboy arguments, and its the same individuals every time.

I think a time-out ban on some individuals and heavy moderating may be in order if every thread continues to spiral into this juvenile bickering :mad:

14. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

15. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

US NPD numbers are for November only....we have estimates.
    But the December numbers will be out today or tommorrow

16. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My point is that at this current point in time, due to the PS3's weak launch Microsoft is more focused on the Wii as their biggest competitor.

Yes, this may change in the future, but that's not the point of the story. The story is that Microsoft now sees Nintendo as a threat whereas before they did not.

There's no PS3 "flaming" going on here as far as I can see, it's just merely facts up to this point.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol good luck with that MRU old buddy... I just close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears till the yelling stops :D

18. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

PS3 launch was horrible.......okay ;)

Sony doesn't ship enough = they can't meet demand and are showing how weak they are.
    Sony ships more than enough to meet demmand = they fail because they can't sell any and are showing how weak they are

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. :p

I don't think Sony cares if every PS3 sales out immediately. They know its expensive, and they know people will STILL be buying it in 6-7 years when its less than half the original price.
    These two companies (Sony/Microsoft) are NOT going to show each other much respect at all throughout both of their stays in teh gaming industry.

Wii is definitely a competitor, and I find it humerous that BOTH companies were quick to dismiss Wii as a mere novelty.
    Although I do think Ninty needs to continue to deliver that "awe" that captivated crowds early if htey want to compete in the long haul.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well to everyone who doesn't play games regularly Wii Sports has certainly done that, and its a bundled tech demo!

Actually no. Sony wouldn't have been damned if-

Worldwide Launch lie was fulfilled. The silly attempt to get out before Nintendo in NA meant launching with limited stock. What should they have done to receive less criticism? Launched worldwide in March 07 with a healthy number of units.
    Problem solved.

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I completely agree.

I sure hope they're able to pull it off, the 'Cube failed because of this, but so far it looks like the Wii will do better.

Only time will tell, of course, but as long as Nintendo has third-party development and said third-parties utilize the Wiimote then I think it will continue to do very well.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! Does it ever stop ? Arent they just the quiet waves before the storms. ;)

22. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

True, but to be fair, NOBODY has successfully launched globally.....yet. ;)
    note - Wii sports is bundled everywhere(except Japan)
    Although it is a top-seller there(along with Wii-Play)
    I think that was a smart move by Ninty though.

One thing I think will help KEEP the ball rolling is by making a game(very similar to Wii-Sports/Play) but wiht On-Line capabilities.
    You and 3 friends can battle 4 other people from around the world.

23. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

24. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Vivid entertainment, the largest pron company around supports Blu Ray, this article is full of false statements. Besides Sony doesnt own Blu Ray as a technology, its a collective of companies. Sony alone couldnt make that kind of choice. I would look up more companies that i know support it but well im at work and i rather like my job :)

Next false Sony story/rumor/opinion/falacy?

Ed