Gates spills beans (prematurely)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pinto32, May 4, 2005.

1. pinto32 macrumors 6502

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/609924p1.html

According to a report on Gamesindustry.biz, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates has confirmed that the next Xbox will be released this year.

The announcement was made at a business writers convention, where Gates told the Society of American Business Writers and Editors that the console will be shipping this year.

The subject was brought up when Gates was speaking about HD displays where he said that this was "the year of high definition" due to the next Xbox shipping this year.

Gates also touched on the multimedia capabilities offered by the latest Xbox, codenamed "Xenon," comparing it to Microsoft's Media Center PC software. "If you used that menu, when you use the Xenon, you'll see a menu a lot like that, that lets you get photos, TV, Music and all those different things," Gates said.

It's still vague whether or not the new Xbox will offer the functionality as basic features to all versions of the new console.

This is the first time that any Microsoft representative has acknowledged plans to ship the new Xbox by the end of the year.

Year of high definition huh? ....sounds familiar....

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I bet Stevie boy's kicking himself he didn't think of this... :D

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

apple should release the iBox, a mid-level gaming machine that only has a few titles.

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

that would be awesome!

5. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Hrmmm.... I thought the Newton was gaming platform enough

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So its using a 3 core processor and its coming out this year......

Anyone think we'll see multicore CPUs in Apples? It would be quite annoying to see them in an XBox first

D

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

True it would be, but isn't the only reason why the Xbox would have 3 is to allow older Xbox games to run at normal performance?

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Try the Pippin... that was an actual gaming system Apple developed but never sold...

9. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

wow learn something new every day

10. cubist macrumors 68020

I wonder if the MS people cringe whenever BillG speaks in public... I'm sure that Apple vets have a lot of cringing experience.

11. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

heres hoping someone manages to modchip it as soon as its released.
    games are just soooo expensive ;)

12. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I'm pretty sure its uses three separate processors, not a 3 core single processor. But I could be wrong.

Multicore CPU's will definitely make their way to apple. But IBM has to make them first.

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

I bet Bill wasn't supposed to talk about this. Normally, product releases go through other channels.

I wonder if Bill could ever do anything that would get him fired? He's not CEO anymore ya know.

Actually, one school of thought was that he *was* fired from the CEO job because he was such a blowhard during the whole anti-trust thing.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Nah we don't want those anywhere near Apple computers. They're not G5s, just PowerPC chips. They only do like 2 instructions per clock cycle (The G5 does 8 or something). They're awfully slow processors, but perfect for a gaming machine.

I repeat: They're not G5s.

15. isgoed macrumors 6502

Hardly a suprise.

Microsoft will showcase the X-Box 360 at MTV on friday the 13th on MTV. Elijah wood will be the host.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Now MS is even stealing SJ's speeches! :eek:

Bastards!

17. drewyboy macrumors 6502a

It's a lil ironic.. dont you think?

The next Xbox is pretty much an Mac Mini... set more towards gaming... plus about 3x-4x bigger...LOL! For all you Xbox gamers...last i heard... No HDD, and it is not backwards capable..sorry for spending all your money :p PS2 and PS3 are the way to go... Sony's PS3 will skool the Xbox2... plus it's more of a last ditch effort on MS part of the gaming console. To much money has been lost on the first Xbox.. and MS can't keep it up. Why don't they spend more time on this lengendary longhorn?? HEHEHEHEHE, UP YOURS M$!!

18. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Actually I just read somewhere that now they believe it will be backwards compatible. Up until a few days ago no one thought it was possible to be backwards compatible but as someone said I think that's why it is a three core chip. Also I do believe that it is three cores on one chip, not three seperate processors.

Edit: Here's the link.http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15016-1894-4-6-x