Gates testimony

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleo, Apr 22, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

and to think, I felt sorry for him (genuine) when this happened:

Attached Files:

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I said it before and I'll say it again...

This man is a liar...a damn good one, but a liar nevertheless.

IEradicator has been around for a looooooong time. It is capable of COMPLETELY removing IE 95/98/Me.

Now Bill, come on...you didn't really mean to perjure yourself, did you?

4. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

5. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Us belgian folks know how to greet a liar then :p
    (see above photo)

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I find the debate on the M$ anti-trust remedy fascinating. Essentially, M$ has a monopoly on operating systems and internet browsers. The government just has no clue on how to solve this situation. They know that antitrust violations occurred, but just have no way of resolving things. They can't punish M$ too badly with breakups or hacking up the software giant because if they do, they risk huge negative economic results. Like it or not, the government loves a hot economy, and they just can't stand the idea that the tech sector will take another big hit if they do something wrong.

Catch 22 in full force and effect. Do nothing, and M$ takes over the world. Do something, and the economy goes in the tanker.

I think the appropriate thing to do (if alternative OS's existed) would be to whack M$ with mega penalties, added fees and then provide tax incentives to anyone who purchases a non-m$ OS. Unfortunately, this couldn't work because the only alternatives are Linux (basically free) or Apple, but that doesn't work on the majority of systems.

Perhaps, the Amiga systems will take off because that OS works on PPC chips, x86 chips, palm chips, handheld PC chips, etc... It would be a shame if the government imposed a major penalty on M$ that ended up causing the Amiga OS to be the dominant force, when OSX is poised to be the logical next major OS.

We'll just have to see.

7. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

I'm no economist... but from what I remember from high school, isn't competition good for the market? I mean, right now M$ has an almost-complete corner on the OS market, and the browser market, and (they're hoping) the web services market. Wouldn't it be better for the economy if all of those components were made independent of one another and true third-party development could happen (especially in the browser arena)?

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

They're already trying to force .Net as the identity verification system for the government...why don't you just bend over and let them really have a go at you? :rolleyes:

10. jaykk macrumors 6502a

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I thought that people that buy peecee's already do that. They just don't realize it until they wake up with a sore a$$. Just thinking about all that they charge for the OS updates is sickening.

Their xp home edition registration (required if you want to use the computer for more then 30 days) setup is just evil.