Gates views on partnering...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ringo, May 25, 2005.

1. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Can we call that egocentrism??? I don't think buying a company can really be called partnering. Yes they are doing partnering but they have to... cause M$ is now their boss... That remind me of Bungie...Rare... and all other company they bought.

Btw took that quote on D: All Things Digital 2005

linkey

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I hate how MS just goes around buying companies because their developers are to stupid to figure the problem out themselves. MONOPOLY!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

egocentric? of course, its Microsoft. no surprises there at all. they think they are the kids who run the block. i think they need a rude awakening personally.

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That makes so sense for Bill to have said that, he's made them employees, not partners.

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yeah, I like the Larry Elllison (of Oracle) quote from back in '98 or '99 when he said that "Microsoft invents a la Rockefeller not Edison." I believe he also said that when Gates goes around beating the we are inventors drum, it makes him "want to puke."

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Not to toot my own horn or anything but a line I've been dropping in conversations lately is:

"They just don't get it in Redmond."

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course they dont, but they do make money, although for how much longer they will be profitable remains to be seen.

they will never get it, not with people like Gates and Ballmer running the company

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Agreed! I'd be much more partial to MS if they just did the work themselves.

Notice that not one major game with the exception of some racing titles are MS created?

Age of Empires = Ensemble
    Halo = Bungie
    Perfect Dark and others = Rare
    Flight Simulator = Bruce Artwick Organization

Heck, 90% of their PRODUCTS aren't original. DOS (Seattle Computing), Windows (based on DOS, GUI licensed from Apple and copied beyond the agreement), Windows NT (some stolen code that Microsoft took care of in an out of court settlement), PowerPoint, etc...
    [/rant]

9. Ringo thread starter macrumors regular

Ringo

Yea you're VERY right on that. I usually say that the only good thing that microsoft made was what they bought.
    And they kill everything not lucrative 'bout it that how they killed franchise like Marathon or Oni that could have some great future.

10. Lloyd1994 macrumors member

Not to be contrary, but Microsoft does have some excellent developers and you have to really know your stuff to even get hired there. They do have big problems right now in developing new software mainly because of their mantra of backwards compatability and "poor" design decisions made in the past they have to carry forward to the future (I quoted poor because in the Microsoft distortion field they had themselves and everyone else convinced they were good design decisions at the time, cough...Registry...cough). They are also not as agile as they once were (to phrase it generously), being as they have countless thousands of developers and beaurocracy that strangles efficiency and creativity. I'm sure their thinktanks churn out awesome ideas, they just aren't agile enough to implement them all, and they hedge their bets even further by seeing which ideas become industries and cherry-picking the best company out there and throwing their marketing and distribution muscle behind it and...wow...its a hit that makes billions. Yes they stifle innovation, yes they make a lot of money doing so, but at least we still have choices ;) If LongCrap or whatever they call it ever comes out, I bet there will be some clever bandaids covering some big holes (read: security for one) but it too will have its problems, because there is always another OS in the future to fix those problems...
    Are Microsoft's problems a product of bad developers or clever marketing/strategy? Maybe its a little of both.