Gateway Eyes a Bigger Slice of iMac Pie

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Aug 24, 2002.

?

Which will prevail?

1. Gateway Profile 4

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Apple iMac

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  3. Hard to say

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-954291.html?tag=fd_lede

:eek: :eek: :eek: UH OH!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. macrumors 603

It's clear that the focus is on speed and price here. The Gateway packs a 17 inch monitor and a P4XL in for around $2000 with no Superdrive and some supposed "retro" design. Yet the computer still comes with a windoze OS.

Folks, speed is not the issue. That is the one thing that almost every dedicated PC users mistakes. Maybe they boot up faster, and maybe they have a faster processor. And maybe you have a great deal pricewise. But what's the purpose of a "fast", cheap, and ready computer if you run windoze OS and have to buy an external DVD burner? I quote "fast" in sarcasm because the Pentium 4, plain and simple, is slower than the Pentium 3. No matter what speed you put the P4 at, IF the P3 could match GHz, the P3 would be faster. The P4 has basically a miniscule L1 cache, 4K. Tell me how you can generate speed out of 4K of space.

The iMac 800 is a supercomputer. We're talking gigaflops here. And, in the real world, I always say the flops make the difference. We're in for a competition here.

2000 . . . edit

3. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's hard to say... because some (actaully many) people are so stupid they won't know the difference between quality and bloat.

But, I confess, in reality... the Gateway crap is bound to be more successful.

GRUMPS! CRAMPS! (Wha?)

irmongoose

P.S. King Cobra.. what's with the 2000?

4. macrumors regular

When they launch it on Aug 26, Gateway plans on releasing a new iMac bashing ad on TV. It compares the two side by side and of course they forget to mention the lack of a DVD writer in the profile. At the end it says "Think Different" under the iMac and "Think Smarter" :rolleyes: under the Profile. According to what we are being told Ted Waitt is going to be standing by to reply to a possible law suit from Apple. (Take 'em down Steve ;) )

When I asked the product rep directly about the lack of a DVD writer he said, "...a laptop drive would be coming available in 4th quarter, but no one uses those anyway." That's funny, it sure has been popular for Apple.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Yeah, no one uses them on PC's cuz they're too expensive on PC's! :p

6. macrumors 601

krossfyter

gateway can kiss my as*.

we have a stupid as* gateway store here an no mac store. sux man.

7. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Still junk in my eyes...

My brother used to sell for Gateway back when the first all-in-one Gateway was released. It was a copy of the first generation iMac and he said the sales on the machine sucked. All it was then and is now, a copy. Everyone always copies Apples designs. Of course that is where it stops. They all have Windows and are lacking features that people want. There is pride in owning an Apple machine, what pride is there in owning a machine that looks like it was delivered in a Wal-Mart shopping cart? PC's are junk, plain and simple, but this day and age people like throw-away crap. Why do you think a junk store like Wal-Mart has passed GM as the world's largest corporation? Well I don't buy Wal-Mart junk and I don't buy Gateway crap either. I am glad there are a few companies, like Apple that still offer a quality long lasting trouble free product. Apple will win this one because most people who buy a PC want a big old tower, where Apple has been selling successfully all-in-one computers since the first Macintosh came out in 1984.

Up here in South Dakota where I live and where Gateways are made, North Sioux City...they are an inside joke. Hell even our state government has been buying Dells because the Gateways are such poor machines.

8. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

at the bottom of the article they posted the stock prices and i took a screenshot. kinda funny.

i think the big 2000 was to say that that was his 2000th post

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Ah. So that's what it was... well, King Cobra... congrats!

irmongoose

10. macrumors 604

scem0

Same here. I have never bothered going into the gateway store, but im sure it sucks anus. I want an apple store really bad.... :(

I hope the gateway 'iMac' is as ugly as the one that is out right now....

11. macrumors 604

MacBandit

So everyone knows. The reason the iMac did so poorly in the Quake test is because they tested it in Classic. The system comes with OSX as the booting system and they do not officially make Quake for OSX so they started it up it brought up Classic and they ran there tests there.

Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com today 08/27/02.

12. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

its sad that gateway has to resort to tactics like this to try to sell computers. those benchmarks would be a lot different with chimera/QuakeOSX/preview/10.2 the only area where macs do actually seem to be a bit slow is boot time (the least crucial in my opinion, since osx lets us leave them on all the time). i've heard that 10.2 boots a bit more quickly, but i am wondering what the rpms of the hard drives are in the imac vs the gateway, as i've heard that this influences boot times as well. are both at the same speed or is one at 5400 and the other at 7200?