Gateway layoffs pending...

Discussion in 'Community' started by spinner, Mar 12, 2003.

1. spinner macrumors regular

Yep that's right, and according to internal rumors and speculation here it looks to be the largest layoff in the companies history. Approx. 3400+ people will be out of jobs and over 70 stores will be closed. This could take place as soon as tomorrow or Friday.

This news would be a whole lot funnier if I didn't have to wonder if I am still going to have a job tomorrow. :( Such is life I suppose.

This is really not surprising, considering that this has got to be one of the poorest managed companies I have ever seen. Check out what some of the other employees are saying HERE

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yeah lots of worried people here in southeastern South Dakota, North Sioux City will die if Gateway dies.

3. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I sure hope those dissapointed Gateway customers turn to Apple. Apple could really benefit from the marketshare increase. Hey, maybe Apple should put up their own Apple vs. Gateway TV commercial. That would rock! :D

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Personally I don't see the humor in 3400+ losing their jobs.

Lethal

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Agreed. Layoffs are an awful thing to witness, even if it is happening to Gateway.

Survival of the fittest is the call these days in the world of computer technology and related. The salad days are over, and only sane, smart and careful management and excellent support and service will make the grade. Gateway fails in those arenas.

As you may or may not know, I'm with San Diego Unified, the 7th largest school district in the US. I'm the Information Technology (IT) Liaison, and used to be with the Educational Technology Department. Late last year I headed up a Technology Advisory Group to come up with what computer vendors we should standardize on. (for years, we "officially" supported and recommended Apple, Dell, Gateway and IBM, although anyone could still go to the local Ubergeek store and buy any computer they wanted.)

The obvious problem with that scenario is that administrators and teachers expect us (IT) to provide support for their brand new $600.00 bargain basement laptop/desktop, and when we tell 'em we can't, it becomes wasted money. We've never fully standardized on software and hardware, and although our web sites show supported vendors, there's no teeth behind the recommendations...they're just recommendations, not hard-and-fast standards.

After months of negotiating and a dozen meetings, we finally moved out of the stone age of doing business and have created absolute standards in hardware for our district.

For reasons of poor local support, we eliminated Dell.

For reasons of rumored imminent death and poor customer support, we eliminated Gateway. (that was a hot potato, because the company is headquarted in Poway, a 'burb of San Diego)

As of last week, we made it happen. No computer purchase can be made by anyone in the district outside of Apple and IBM.

I'd like to mention that, of all the vendors that have met with me and kept me abreast of company news and offers, Apple was the ONLY one who contacted me often, took me out to lunch (frequently), gave me free pens, posters, loaner products for evaluation, etc. Our IBM vendor has been good to me as well, (nothing like on the order of Apple, however) but Dell and Gateway hardly ever contacted me, and when they did, it was to give me a new price list.

Apple, you sure know how to treat your customers...and it's really paid off. There were fears throughout the district, by teachers especially, bless 'em, that we were all going PeeCee. OVER MY DEAD BODY. :mad:

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, that sucks. My company was just bought out by a larger one, so even though there has been no 'optimization' its still on everyone's mind and be of concern until the deal is done.

And Gateway stock has been on a nose dive for over a year - its at just over $2 right now, from a high of over $80 in 2000.....not good.

D