Gateway now at best buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Aug 22, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have not seen a thread about this yet so i'm posting this.

All I can say is What Is The World Coming To?

I hate gateway- ugly unreliable pieces of crap. Now there selling at best buy which I used to think was a good store, it still is except for the whole gateway. Gateway is such a failing company- loosing computer sales so they brand Plasma TVs, still can't make it, brand LCD tvs, wait still can't make it so they brand DVD network players, still can't make it so they do digital cameras and MP3 players. And now there last resort is Best Buy.

Its funny when you think about it.

There stock is $4.40, if they do good at best buy there stock might be worth something.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I don't mind Gateway a whole lot, but I still see why they didn't do so well as a company.

What I do mind is Best Buy, actually. I hate these national chain stores that hire high school kids and pay them minimum wage. They totally suck the life and culture out of our society by replacing any sort of differences with a perfectly identical copy of their 'ideal model' of a store.

It's like the difference between going to a Starbucks and your local coffee shop... or getting your pizza from Pizza Hut or Pagliacci... or talking to the music nerd that works at the local music store vs. going to a mall chain music store and talking to some retard.
    </rant>

Lee Tom

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I Like best buy as a store a lot. I was buying a TV and the people at best buy where much more knowlegable of the electronics than the people across the street at circuit city. Not that circuit city is bad but with my experience.

4. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

When Gateway got the new president and he in the same day decided to close the physical stores and buy out emachines, I had a feeling that they would put gateways in the stores. I work at CompUSA and we also got gateways now.

5. letterbox macrumors regular

Apple Stores?

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And to think, I used to like Gateway before I knew any better. They didn't used to suck this bad, but they went cheap and low quality and paid the price for it. Wonder what Dell's excuse is?

7. morkintosh macrumors regular

It's so true. And in most cases the model is so far from ideal it isn't even funny. If I have to listen to some little highschool computer nerd tell me why I need to buy a 5 year warrenty on a linksys switch one more time I swear I'll lose my mind.

8. morkintosh macrumors regular

Can't say I've ever been to one, but I've been told that the staff is pretty nonchalant about everything and do know what they are talking about when asked. Granted I did hear that from a bunch of Apple fan boys, and should probably take it for what it is.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Gateway 200X is quite good for the price. Well, its not bad. :)

All I hear about Gateway is that their customer service sucks, but I didn't know their products were bad. Also, they branched out because they weren't having much success anymore in computers. Can't blame a company for trying to survive rather than take it up the ass. :eek:

10. iNetwork macrumors member

From your bashing and your horrible grammer I can tell you're uneducated and your statements are uneducated as well. Dell makes just as ugly just as unreliable products as Gateway. Honestly, I prefer to build my own systems. I think this is finally a good move for Gateway.

11. morkintosh macrumors regular

I don't know about that. Retail isn't their thing; they've had to close all of their stores because of lack of revenue, they can't compete with Dell in online as they got into that way to late, and the certianly can't compete in the consumer electronics arena with companies like Sony who have been around since before the PC. Gateway is poised to go the way of Packard Bell; I remember when you could buy those at best buy too.

12. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

My PC is a Gateway. (Bought it before switch) Eek! It sucks!:eek: It freezes when you run more than one app at once, and the HD has had to be replaced twice. Customer service really is bad, too. Gateway has rolled over but hasn't quite died. It deserves to go under... :p

13. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Before I had my dell I had a gateway (getting powerbook :) ). Anyways lets see the problems I had- USB ports fail, Power Supply 2 times, Power Switch (know someone who had the same problem), and froze alot.

14. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I had 2

Speaking from experience, I have owned two gateways. A P II, and PIII. Both were good machines.. Although the P II would get very anty when I would use the built in TV Tuner card.. As for support, I called them a few times and was only put on hold for a few min. Oh yea, why did Ted Wait have to leave? He left, put some new guy in, left again, came back, now he says he's really gone, and now some asian guy is running the company. Ted sorta looks like James Taylor though...

Attached Files:

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

gosh...so many school computers...first my elementary used lc 2's in the computer lab and lc...575? some ppc lc i think in the library...then all the teachers and everything got computers which were gateway p2's then in middle school more gateways (i remember a lot about the gateways because they *sucked*)then at high school they still have some old gateways but getting new dell optiplex's which are actually really quite nice except for the ugly crt's with built in speakers that look like walmart tv's from 10 years ago..well not entirely about gateways, but long story short: gateways suck

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't buy a Gateway - it's a step towards the dark side!!! :eek:

17. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

That's beautiful. Somehow I always figured that the Empire used Windows. If them being evil didn't give it away, didja notice that their Death Star got blown-up not once, but twice. That sounds like Windows alright! :D

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And now that you mention it, Bill Gates does somewhat resemble Emperor Palpatine... ;)

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe a bit, but Lieberman does so much it's downright SACRY!

Boy are WE going OT here, sorry guys. :eek:

Attached Files:

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Pacakrd Bell are absolutely huge (in europe at least) they are a rubbish french manufacturer that rebrand NEC's machines and are sold to morons who go into large retail stores like PC World and get roped into buying extended warranties... /sigh I've not heard of Gateway in about 3 years!! i thought they went under? one minute they had like loads of stores then over a weekend they just all shutdown and left their customers in the lurch... nice!

I know a few people now that won't buy american machines now because of what happened to gateway customers, they tend to go for the ones built in europe.

I used to have a AST 486 machine, really good computers, shame they went under as well.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nice one, I'll add that pic to my archives! But yes, I suppose we should get back on topic now... ;)

22. morkintosh macrumors regular

Really? that sounds exactly like Packard Bell here in the US about 10 years ago. Are you sure you aren't stuck in a time warp :p

23. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

You remember that that the next time you go into one store, get the info you need, and then head on down to the large chain store because they are selling the exact same product for X amount cheaper.

Everyone says they want better service, but when it comes down to it, very few are willing to pay for it.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent point Koodauw - I hate to say it but this exactly right. I myself have fallen into this trap. Although I value customer service and enjoy supporting "the little guy", sometimes it all comes down to price.