Gateway to acquire eMachines

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lancetx, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I really hope the this helps Gateway survive....they are one of the few PC-makers with anything resembling a personality.

3. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

What? How does gateway have a personality?

I guess gateway is trying to consolidate the largest apple hardware imitators. With emachines skill at trying to make copies of the first imacs and gateways attempt at making an lcd version they will be able to imitate better and create even more low selling machines like the lcd all-in-one gateway.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The cow had a personality, but was fired. :eek:

What's worse is the cow probably would have been a better CEO than the guy heading the company now.

Now all they have left are some spots...

5. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Wait a minute. I thought eMachines was owned by Sony. That's what the sales guy at Best Buy said. :eek:

Anyway, eMachines should have demanded more than $30 million in cash. That stock isn't going to be worth anything by the time the lockup period expires.

6. pinto32 macrumors 6502

They ship everything in cow-boxes.......if that isnt personality, then my name is David Hasselhof

7. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

sales guy at best buy? buwahahahaha....

Gateway has a personality? buwahahahaha....

i love visiting the board for a laugh or two during the day.

8. Independence macrumors regular

Well, I guess my current eMachine will be my last (I hate Gateway).

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the top dollar desk machine was $769.00 i thought it was a mistake then i looked at the Cheap ones $400.00 i wonder if they even work? i also noticed they are using geforce4mx(garbage) couldnt help but laugh at this cheap crap but somebody must be buying them. Gateway trying to grab marketshare but little else. Is that styrene plastic they are made of? Im glad apples machines have substance. I cant see this helping Gateway but then again i do live in Apples world.

10. Independence macrumors regular

The cheap machines work just fine. They work even better with a non-Microsoft operating system. My current eMachine has performed well since I bought it. The cheap plastic case doesn't bother me as it's what's under the hood that counts. The integrated S3 Prosavage 8 video offered only adequate performance, but I replaced that with an ATI Radeon 9000 (which, by the way, works much better than any of the trash nVidia cards I've owned in the past). Right now, I've got a machine that offers excellent bang-for-the-buck. Combined with an excellent operating system (if not an easy to use one), this machine is certainly a nice little machine despite it's shortcomings.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well im glad its doing well for you, since this is a mac site we dont hear from many emachine users. i guess your running linux?

12. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I can't remember if this was the company but didn't eMachines release an iMac look-a-like during the bondi-blue days?

13. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

yes they did, and then apple sued them and they were forced to stop.

14. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Methinks the gateway cow must be one of those mad varieties from Canada.

"mooooo (insert howard dean squawk) ooooo!"

15. Independence macrumors regular

I'm running FreeBSD 5.2 at this point in time. Finally, I've found an operating system I'm truly happy with. :)

16. pinto32 macrumors 6502

I admit it...I love Gateway......every PC I have personally owned has been a Gateway. The fact is, I'm not alone....Gateway is basically the Apple of the PC world, as far as zelots go.....there was a thread about a month ago where this was discussed quite a bit.....

.....Cows and Apples.......both creations of nature........both excellent sources of good karma......

17. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

you yanks just made up that bs about the mad cows found in washington being from canada. :p

Also, i highly doubt that there has never been any other mad cow cases in the states...u think if an inspector finds one BSE cow on a texas ranch that inspector is going to be leaving that ranch alive?

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, Sony is the Apple of the PC world. Gateway is the wannabe Apple, but really they're competing with Dell for the most part, and loosing miserably.

This is a relatively baffling move, if you ask me; Gateway is bleeding cash all over the place, trying and failing to move into consumer electronics, and even their PC shipments are declining steeply. They're basically dying, and dying fast.

Now they're buying a company that makes really cheap PCs. What, exactly, does this get them? More volume, yes, but how is this going to stop their steady decline in units shipped? Were all those customers lost to eMachines? Heck, even if they were, what's going to stop them from screwing up that business as well?

No, wait, I've got it: They're still trying to follow Apple's example! First the attempt at moving toward consumer electronics (ala iPod), now they're trying to do what Amelio did when Apple was in serious trouble: buy a smaller computer company! Except last I checked, eMachines comes with neither a cool OS nor Steve Jobs. Oh, well.

I do wonder if eMachines' quality has increased recently; the last one I worked on (for a friend, which was admittedly several years ago) was practically falling apart--the processor was loose in its socket, which caused all sorts of problems till somebody noticed, and that was the easiest of its weird quirks to fix.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I didn't know Gateway still existed! They vanished out of NZ years ago, and I assumed that the whole company was dead.

One of my friends had a Gateway Neo (basically a white G3 iMac lookalike). It had no network support and no PCI slots :eek:

20. Independence macrumors regular

Well, that sucks. Considering that you can't do anything without a network card these days.

21. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Hmmm....you know, Makosuke, now that I think about it, that comment you made about Apple buying Next and getting Steve Jobs might be worth more of a comparison to Gateway then you originally intended.....The guy from eMachines is taking over as CEO of the new, unified company.....maybe there is something special about this guy that we don't know about?

22. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Me too, i think its called OS X... ;)

I've never actually tried FreeBSD... I may have to now.

23. pinto32 macrumors 6502

24. rjrufo macrumors regular

I haven't upgraded to FreeBsd 5.2 yet, but was considering it. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. You seem to like it, so would you recommend it?

25. rjrufo macrumors regular

Sort of - it's Darwin, a FreeBSD port to the PPC platform. OpenDarwin