Gateway to ax 1900 jobs, 80 stores

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Mar 18, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Gateway Inc. said Monday that it would eliminate 1,900 jobs and close 80 retail stores by the end of this month in its latest effort to stem red ink.

The cuts represent about 17% of Gateway's workforce and 28% of its stores around the country. When the layoffs are complete, the Poway, Calif.-based company will have 9,300 employees.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gateway18mar18,1,4029833.story?coll=la-home-todays-times

That is a shame.

Pete

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yayyy 1900 people are getting laid off! Isn't that fantasitc? :rolleyes:

Damn what the hell is w/some of you? This is the 2nd time I've seen somone be happy that a competitor is laying off hundreds/thousands of employees.

Lethal

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah really. My temp job expired yesterday. I'm out of work again. It's one thing for a company to be down but consider how those workers feel.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I guess now chikfila has the cow all to themselves.

iJon

6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Are they blaming the cow for bad buesness advice?

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

we all saw this coming, unless your making something really neat you will get creamed by dell. gateway will soon be my new fun penny stock to play with.

iJon

8. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I guess the iMac bashing in the Profile 4 commercials didn't work...

Hey what if Apple bought out Gateway, retooled all their computers as PPC machines and have the same business model that HP/Compaq will have... Ok, my first stupid statement of the day...

9. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Look, if the employees had any sense, they would have known that Gateway was well on its way to the crapper....Gateway sucks farts, big deal. I'm sure there are many more buttheads out there that would jeer at the thought of Apple dying...Well, I guess the cow's eating it...In fact, I'm going to go out and eat a burger tonight...Man that will be a great burger.

10. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I'll just be glad when "Suckway" is gone and all their customers come fleeing to Apple. Woohoo! :D

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

absolutely weird that apple's the only computer manufacturer in the entire industry that had retail stores that don't make the company go bankrupt...instead of cutting down on the stores, the number of apple stores nationwide (and soon worldwide) is growing every single year :D :) :p

12. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I think that's sad. Gateway was poorly managed.

I think it was really stupid that Gateway held onto Gateway Country for as long as it did. It should never have taken on that overhead in the first place, stayed slim in the overhead department and kept competitive with Dell. When the founder came back out of retirement, I thought they had already decided to cut Gateway Country off and go back to their original business model.

Additionally, if Gateway had remained more in the direct market it might not have allowed Dell to grow to be as strong as it is. Good, lean competition can do that.

Well, anyway, I'm just glad I'm pro-Apple and that Apple seems to be weathering this economic storm (at least, that's what it appears to me! :D)

I am a big Mac fan, but there's nothing funny or great about people losing jobs. I hope we all remain safe and look out for each other...

Take care, everyone.
    :D

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

but you also have to consider gateway has opened way more than apple and they probably opened the same amount appl did when they started. apple is new in this business. hopefull it will go good for them, i just feel sorry for the resellers.

iJon

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Gateway has 200+ stores and apple is not really that new, they're getting pretty good at it though :)
    at least the apple stores are somewhat profitable.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

apple is very new in the retail store business, only a couple of years. i think the reason they are succesful is you can actually do stuff in a apple store, and its full of eye candy. what can you do at a gateway store, nothing.

iJon

16. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Also, you can buy a Gateway machine at CompUSA and never notice a difference. Apple Stores are a haven for those who are tired of shoddy service at CompUSA. That's the key to their success, IMO.

Dan

17. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Too True. However...

I was at CompUSA not too long ago and found that there was now an Apple Sales rep who was in charge of that department. I was thrilled to say the least.

I too have suffered from CompUSA's shoddy management of the Apple section of the store. Most of the CompUSA reps didn't know the computers very well nor the software. I really detested their ignorance and lackadaisical (sp?) attitudes. It was really insulting.

The Apple Sales rep confided that business has improved about 300% since the new Apple Reps arrived at CompUSA. I'm glad. I'll still go to the Pasadena Apple Store (because it is closet to where I live), but now I feel a little more free to go to CompUSA too.

Now I feel I have options...

:D

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Sad to see that many jobs lost. :(

Hopefully, Apple's retail stores will bring profits in for many years into the future.