Gave Up on The Emotiva

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by tony3d, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tony3d, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

macrumors 6502

Just not the right the of materials. This Tube amp looks much better, with very little effort.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors G3

Renzatic

This looks pretty damn good.

Shame about the Emotiva, though. I still think you should come back to it once you have a better grasp of materials and rendering effects.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's the latest Emotiva

Attached Files:

4. Renzatic, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

macrumors G3

Renzatic

It's not bad, but still looks too rendery for it to be photorealistic.

The model itself is good, but the material itself still looks kinda fake. You're going for that brushed metal look, but it pops too much, it's too stark. I found this shot to compare it against...

[​IMG]

This one has a curved face, and it's obviously seen some use, but still. Look at how the light reflects off of it. It's not completely uniform. The brushed scratches are just barely noticeable and blend into the surface more subtly. It wouldn't hurt to fade those out a little bit, maybe throw in a light specular to break up some of the reflection along the front.

I'm hardly a pro myself here, but I think the biggest thing that separates a decent enough render from a photorealistic one are the tiny imperfections. Nothing is ever perfect or completely uniform. Right now, your stuff is a little too perfect and a little too uniform.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Here is a real photo of the preamp. I Own it. Depending on the light the brush effect can look pretty rough. I will try backing off on though.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yeah, you're close, but still just missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the good from the great.

Like I said, really pay attention to how the light plays across the surface of your amp. How it looks faded and barely there on one side, and how it almost looks like it's scratched into the surface on the other. Ask yourself why it does that, and try to figure out how to replicate it.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to put a controlled point light just to the front right side of the preamp to produce a highlight. I think that will do it.

8. macrumors G3

Renzatic

That might help, but I still think playing around with your materials will net you much better results.