Gay Marriage Ban Predictions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gekko513, Feb 27, 2004.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Disregarding your own view on the proposal. Do you think this change to the constitution will be made? Why? Why not? What political steps must be made to make the change?

I would like to know your predictions on this because I'm norwegian and don't have the same big picture of the political landscape in the U.S. as some of you. I'm also gay and worried that a ban in the U.S. will have a world-wide negative effect on people's and politicians' views on gays.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

at this point, i don't think bush is all that serious about amending the constitution. i think the issue was brought up as a polarizing device for the election.

should bush remain in office and the movement gain ground, who knows?

public opinion polls show the US public is fairly split on how they feel about gay marriage. i suspect there will soon be polls gauging how the public feels about going so far as to amending the constitution.

of course, all it will take is another terrorist attack for americans to sit up and say, "what the heck are we arguing about THIS for?"

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    there's not a snowball's chance this proposed amendment will pass.

i think bush knows this( or at least his advisors do...).

what a shame to use the constitution and the threat of an amendment as a political ploy/discriminatory tool.

talk about soiling the carpet of the oval office... :rolleyes:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Re: Gay Marriage Ban Predictions

It's unlikely to make its way through Congress, let alone ratification. A running tally of Senate stances can be found here.

To begin the ratification process, a proposed amendment needs the approval of 2/3 of both houses. With 44 already against, at least for now it's a non-starter.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think there is a slim possiblity it will be passed. If it is passed it will be overturned by another amendment in the near future!

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

assuming gays are still allowed to vote...

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It it comes to be a real possibility, it won't be in this round. A court decision finding DOMA unconstitutional would make the amendment more of a real threat, though.

Ideally, such a challenge won't make its way up the ladder and DOMA will quietly be undone in Congress after enough states have gone through the motions locally, realized it ain't gonna fly, and allowed the inevitable to happen.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Seems to me that Senate support for such an amendment would generate way too much bad publicity about prejudice--and rightly so. I don't think it has the chance of a snowball in hell of getting serious debate.

'Rat

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

very dramatic.

Don't you like the idea that some people in this world would like to keep a ceremony for the promotion and celebration of a Male and Female unification as the ideal partnership for procreation?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I predict, now that Bush as mollified his religious conservative base by supporting an amendment, that this proposal will sink slowly into the west. Not that the gay marriage issue won't come up again in the election, but no way do the Republicans want to promote such a controversial Constitutional amendment during an election year. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I sincerely hope your right. When I first heard about the amendment I was sick to my stomach. Then I was furiously angry! Oddly, the idea of such an amendment fueled me to such anger that every where it is feasible and appropriate I talk about how wrong it is. And how right allowing gay people to get married is.

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

No because then I could not be married to my husband as we are unable to have children. We knew this prior to getting married. By your definition we would have been denied a marriage license.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, and this is why I think it doesn't work as a political issue. It's waving the bloody flag for the social conservatives, which is why it won't go away completely, but it also fires up a lot of people on the social left. I also think it causes quite a few who might not have thought about this issue very much to ponder it as a civil rights issue, and this the Republicans don't want to happen. The Democrats would probably wish it away too -- since it's potentially such a polarizing issue, and nobody quite knows how it will play out. So I think same-sex marriage will remain just below the radar this year. Everybody's scared of it.

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Why could you not marry your husband?
    You never know what luck or life may bring.
    Do you think with a little more luck and a wife you will increase the probability of children?

15. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

eerrmm IIRC SHE is the wife. (although I apologise if I'm wrong Nerserk)

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Because marriage is for procreation and we can not procreate. If marriage is for the purpose of procreation then after people are done having kids and their kids are grown they should no longer be allowed to be married. Couples who choose not to have kids or who are incapable of having kids can not get married either. Afterall, that is the reasoning stated for why people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed to get married.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if these guys are serious about amending the constitution for the "sanctity of marriage," then how about an amendment forbidding divorce?

18. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm thinking one forbidding spousal abuse and adultery would be even better.

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Look, I know you are not that stupid. Your opinion is just being disrespectful to a ceromony that has been around since forever. It is about the union of the Male and the Female, if you don't like it, you don't have to do it. Go and design yer own preferable ceremony, it is as easy as that. :)

20. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

I respect your view, although I personally don't think same sex unions would be disrespectful to the traditional marriage ceremony.

This one is a little harder. Marriage is not just about the ceremony. It's also about the legal rights and duties you get from the union.

In Norway, same sex unions are not called marriage, but partnership. It is not much of a ceremony, but when you register as partners, you get approximately the same legal rights as a married couple (minus adoption). In addition to this, many churces offer a blessing ceremony for gay partners. It is up to each individual church and priest to decide if they wish to offer this.

I think it may be important to recognise this difference between the religious/traditional/ceremonial part of the marriage and the legal part!

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

We could have an amendment that says all parents must be called "June" and "Ward" and all families must live in suburban homes with white picket fences. As long as we are mandating that our family structure mimic a model that never existed to please our own mythology, why not go all the way? ;)

edit: sorry, I'm showing my age again. "June" and "Ward" were the parents on the 1950s sitcom "Leave it to Beaver" - for those too young to get the silly reference.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, walk into a paint store and try ordering "white" paint. kind of like asking a country full of people to settle on one definition of "marriage".

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Please find an objective, verifiable source that says marriage is about the union between and man and a woman and has been "forever".

This has been shot down many times already, but you seem game to give it a shot.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, they were Alex and Donna's neighbors and lived right down the street from the Andersons. Those were the days!

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, I'm sorry we lose respect for those hallowed institutions that have been around since forever. Slavery was one of my favorites.

But the idea is that they do like, and they do want to do it. You're the one with the hangup about their sex and telling them they can't.