Gay Marriage vs Political Carreer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mpw, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Gay Marriage vs Political Career

We've got some elections coming up in the next few weeks and today I got an opportunity to question the candidates privately in one-on-one sessions.

One of the 14 questions I asked each of them was would they advocate and support the legalization and recognition of same sex marriage.

All those I spoke to today said they would and of those I didn't speak to I've had two positives, two negative and four refuse/fail to answers by email.

The 15 candidates are running four 6 seats in government and of those that answer yes 3 are dead certs and of the 2 nos 1 is a cert the other a likely.

So my question to you is:
    What are the odds that none of the yes's remember this, or any other, promise in the next 6year term?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm having trouble understanding this line. "four 6 seats" is that "for 6 seats"? I can't make much sense of the rest of the line.
    That's always a problem. Perhaps you can try to record any evidence of their position or at least write down what they said, and if they seem to have forgotten when their time comes, use the media for what it's worth.

3. mpw thread starter Guest

Sorry. There are 15 candidates running for 6 seats with a 6year term of office. Of those that have answered yes to supporting gay marriage 3 are almost certain to get elected. Of the two replies I've had by email 1 is also almost certain and the other is quite likely to get elected.

I've had 4 replies by email so I've two each, yes & no, in writing.
    :D

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All of the ones who said yes will definitely forget once they get in, trust me. Both sides like to use us to get elected. When it really comes down to it, they don't care-they just want power.

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Sometimes that isn't true.

In Norway we may see "gender equal" marriage during the upcoming government even though the majority of the Norwegian people oppose that.

In California, if I understood it correctly, the elected representatives voted to allowed gay marriage in some form even though the majority of the population was against it, but Schwarzenegger vetoed it.

6. mpw thread starter Guest

Which countries do have legal same sex marriages?

And another question to gay members; Are you bothered, does the gay community actually want this?

7. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

As my g/f keeps reminding me Denmark was the first country to legalise same sex marriages. A list of others here

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Norway has civil unions which give gay (including lesbian of course) couples most of the legal rights that comes with a regular marriage, except the opportunity to be considered as adoption parents.

A few churches also provide a blessing ceremony for gay couples who want a church seremony.

BBC gives a good overview of gay marriage around the globe.

I'm gay and I think it's very important to have gay civil unions which recognizes some of the same rights that a heterosexual married couple has. To me it would be most important to be recognised as the partner in the case of crisis or in cases where it would enable life choices that would otherwise be impossible. Like not getting a visa if the partner gets a job in another country.

I'm a bit torn about the opportunity to be consider as adoption parents. I recognise that two men or two women are not able to get children on their own and are in that way not "natural" parents. On the other hand, if there's a lack of homes for children, I have no doubt that a same sex couple can provide a safe and caring home.

9. mpw thread starter Guest

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought there was.

10. mpw thread starter Guest

The elections finished at the end of November and the successful candidates took their seats in the first/second week of December. The headline (well bottom of page 7) of today's local paper prompted by Elton John's 'marriage' on the first day of same sex civil partnerships in the UK;

"Gay Marriages Not High on Ministers Agenda"

What a surprise.:rolleyes:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Can you clarify?

12. mpw thread starter Guest

Just that in the manifestos of a few of the candidates in recent elections they were spouting how hard they were going to work to make sure we had equality in our society and one of the guys who got in and lead his campaign with his promise for human rights and now they've come out and said that the legalization of gay marriage is NOT a priority. The reason it's in the paper today is that they've been asked about it 'cause same sex legal partnerships became legal today in England (and in the UK this week).

I can't understand what could take priority over the availability of equal and human rights for all.

In all likelihood our legislators will follow the UK with half measure laws when there's no reason they couldn't lead the way to fully recognizing same sex marriages.

Not the hugest of stories I'm sure but just one of my pet peeves.

It's just a shame that politicians are so transparent when it comes to not keeping election promises.

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, usually they're able to wriggle out of it by having used some wording that is vague enough to interpret as they see fit.

I mean "working to promote human rights" is about as vague as you can get.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Gotcha- thanks.