Gay ministers come out, criticize Methodist Church for homophobia

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 20, 2006.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Good for them, a lot of small battles will win this war. :)

e

2. riciad macrumors 6502

Wonder if something similar will ever happen involving the Roman Catholic clergy? Kind of doubt it.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You never know. I don't think many expected something like this from the methodists.

e

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

not really that many alot of ministers out there id say a fair number more are homosexual and just arent saying anything.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I certainly wouldn't surprised. What surprises me is that they stay in such a repressive environment. Why don't they quit and start a day job, or become a theology professor or something?

e

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Gay minister isnt that a oxymoron? Those leading the flock shouldnt be living a sinful life. The holiest should be leading the flock or rather those most christ like etc. Its like having a prostitute preaching at the pulpit. Another religion getting silly for political correctness rather then practicing what the bible teaches. You dont have the sinner leading the flock.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Too right. They should be Jewish and into sandles.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The bible also says that YOU are not to be the judge of that, and YOU should not hold the sin of the person against the sinner. And YOU are to love the sinner, and hate the sin. But, you probably didn't know that, being that you're spouting this godhatesfags.com rehtoric already.

Shows how "christian" you ****ing people really are. You can't accept people for who they are but what they are. As long as they dress nice and bring their wives and children ever sunday, it's okay by you.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, here comes the Episcopal thing all over again. Last year homosexual clergy was the big issue in their church; this year it's the Methodists.

Hope this doesn't degenerate into the same type of squabbling and threatened schism.

11. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I agree. I am a christian and think its much better to love and pray than condemn. Its all much more complicated than a bunch of "fags go to hell" statements can generalize. I could go on forever on this but...no;)

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The voice of reason- thanks for posting.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Just as you dont have a prostitute, or tax collector, or the thief or etc,etc. Leaders of the church should be holy and not living what is a open sinful life sorry but if you are going to talk the talk you have to walk the walk. You wanna be gay whatever but dont expect to be a church leader thats my view and the biblical view.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Didn't know you were an accredited theologian.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not:D but i own a few bibles, im just saying as a leader you have to have those thorns pulled out of your eye first that kind of thing. Ps. "disclaimor i dont pretend to be religious because im not." Just making a point as a outside observor.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Oh, that's just great. I hope you were smiling when you wrote that :D :D

17. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I understand what you are saying. I really do, but if you honestly rely on your minister or pastor to guide you then you're basically in trouble. These people are just people, all capable of sinning and if you notice one openly sinning I can promise 100 more are 'privately' sinning. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who your pastor is, its who you are and what God thinks of that. Lets be honest.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No i mean it . Your church leaders if you are into that organized mind control should be the best examples of christlike,god like,bible like etc. As i said before you dont get your biggest sinners as leaders. Thief is a great example. what was Tammy's husbands name?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

But we have no idea of Christ's sexual orientation...

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im sure if he was queer and god thought it was just swell we would have a plethora of passages telling us about how great it is and this is the way etc.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Now that would be a Homosexual Agenda.

But seriously, why would he say anything? It was no big deal.

22. Queso macrumors G4

What is the problem with priests having a sex life, as long as that sex is happening in a loving relationship? Can any Christian honestly say they KNOW Jesus died a virgin?

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Considering over half of Jesus' life was stripped from the bible to begin with, how do you know he wasn't? I hope you don't come back with "example: Soddom & Gammora" because that was old testament, and there's a whole hell of a lot of changes from old to new.

Being a church leader doesn't mean you can't sin. And being a church leader only means that you have a strong relationship with God and that you can lead others to him. That's all.

How is it I know more about religion than the relgious people?!

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

DHM, your point doesn't make any sense.

Even the Church usually agrees that being Gay is not a sin per se, only gay "activity". Since most ministers and Priests are made to be celibate, your point seems irrelevant.

Even if these Ministers are able to engage in intimate relationships, should they not be judged on the quality and example that these relationships engender?

It would be one thing if they were down at the bathhouse or in the bathroom of some gay dance club night in and night out, it would be another if they were in a loving commited relationship.

The real difference is in Love vs Lust, not the sex of the object of affection.

meh.