Gay Rights Activists refused Communion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, May 31, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../20040531/ap_on_re_us/gays_communion_denied_4

Not to single out the Catholic Church, but that is who the story is about. I'm certain it is happening in other Christian Denominations.

What I found most interesting was the last paragraph. If someone is against homosexuality, based on their interpretation of the bible, they should be against the act, rather or not the relationship is legalized is a non-issue.

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Makes me embarassed to be a Catholic. Thankfully, the Catholic Church is a (slightly) more accepting place in the UK, though I tend to give the whole thing a miss.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

same here.

makes me want to wear a sash and see what my local priest does

sad....

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its not sad, if you want to be part of the club you need to abide by the rules. no mystery, open the book and follow. Im not part of the club but then again im not gay either.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there are certain things that trump club status, though. family, place of birth and religion come to mind. rejection from any of those is far more devestating than, say, getting kicked out of your favorite bar or the Moose Lodge.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, but come on the bible is pretty clear on many issues and religions make sure to define those issues.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but...

religion tends to be a part of a person's life from the very beginning of their life. imo, this helps to make religion a core part of a person's being. since awareness of sexual feelings and preferences don't come until later, i can see how it would be difficult for anyone whose lifestyle or personal beliefs clash w/ the church to have to do some serious soul searching to determine if they really want to leave the church.

also, so much of christianity's message is love, but so much of the implementation is intolerance and hate. this has to be confusing to just about anyone.

since i'm not at all religious, i may be over sympathizing. but i do have gay friends who are really torn up about being rejected by the church, not just w/ this most recent issue, but in general.

8. numediaman macrumors 6502a

You're absolutely right.

The Bible is also clear in other areas: you can stone your son to death for not obeying you (Deut 21:18-21); polygamy is OK (Exodus 21:10); one can capture and enslave a woman and force her to be your wife (Deuteronomy 21:10-13), women can not be teachers (Timothy 2:11-14), you can not touch the skin of a dead pig (no football of any kind I guess -- Leviticus 11), etc.

Yeah, let's live up to the word of the Bible. Let's treat it like a restaurant menu -- reject 90% of it but order from it when it suits our needs.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hey you want to join the club then you have to follow, I myself like the new testament better, love thy God with all thy heart and love one another as yourself. we do that and we got it made. Jesus was so cool. :cool:

10. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Isn't is a bit hypocritical to say the Bible is against homosexuality and not admit that Bible contains arguments in favor of polygamy, stoning, slavery, and the like?

I was born and confirmed a Catholic. I used to consider myself a Christian. But I can not live my life with enough hate for my fellow human beings to be considered a real Christian.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bible was intended for primitive man right from the trees, though ill admit we have not advance much ( hence the constant murders in everyday papers) but Jesus was right on. Im a sinner big time but Jesus was saying things 2000 years ago we still have problems with. Then look at the Mideast they are still trying to live from rules 4000 years ago. Talk about primitives. All im saying is if you want to be a certain religion then you have to follow the customs,traditions and thinking. Throw away the religion and think of Jesus and what he said. love they God with all thy heart,love one another. there is nothing we can not accomplish now. Its that simple. you want to be catholic then be it,same with the others. God didnt create religion man did.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If someone looks at the church and doesn't believe that these beliefs and attitudes are ancient and have no place in today's society, then in reality, they don't believe in the teachings of their church, so why go back? Old habit? Seriously, the reason you're a Catholic is because you agree with their point of view. You have to. Religion itself is a belief, and if you don't believe in their teachings, then you don't believe in that religion. You're in a grey area. If you believe in some of it, but not all of it, then you don't really believe in the religion itself, only the part that you agree with. That isn't a religion. That's what non-religious people do.....agree with the parts of each religion that seem right to them without actually making some sort of declaration that, "yes, I am a _______."

Non-religious people are religious -- they just don't define what they believe in with any particular name.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I find your post interesting, DHM for the following reasons:
    1) In the first line you seem to combine a little bit of evolutionary theory with your religious assertion...also, man was not that "primitive"...comparatively yes, but Egyptian and Latin American civilizations were quite advanced, as was Roman, if you are talking about the New Testament...
    2) Your comment about the Mid-East is factually incorrect, and imo, quite demeaning...Muhammed was around the 6th Century AD, and Islam was a very progressive religion for its' time...in antiquity, (1000BC), in the ME there was the advanced Sabaen Civilization, of which little survived, save the "Queen of Sheba"..
    3) As far as throwing away the religion and listening to the teaching of Jesus, that is fine, but that is definitely not Catholicism, and many people are unable and unwilling to discern the contradictions and important themes of man-made Religion...which is why they listen to preachers/pastors/priests...and that, of course is some of the trouble between religious theory/ideology and application (as noted above...)

14. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Actually, the bible is not at all clear on homosexuality. Just some would like to make you *think* it is.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

we know by fact from the fossil record, dinosaurs,extinct species from millions years ago, we also know that many biblical events have been recorded and shown true. I myself am not naive to think the universe just sprang into being with no thought. also iam not naive enough to think this process on our planet just happened overnight. I do think there is a greater intelligence(God) just as i do think dinosaurs roamed the planet from years ago. Why cant God use evolution since he created it? everything is in flux and changing and we have the proof. we are a result, call it Gods plan or anomaly the fact is we are here. religions try to explain and control our thinking but Jesus simply stated the truth. Its Gods universe,thank him,love him,and treat each other like you want to be treated. 2000 years ago. he didnt say be catholic,muslim,islam,protestant,etc etc. he said love God and each other. What a concept. Coolest man that ever walked the Earth.

16. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is quite intelligent of you.

Did you know there are entire foundations and they have websites which are devoted solely to the purpose of demonstrating that the earth was formed in 7 days about 5-7,000 years ago? :eek: And they are quite insistent that one is not a Christian if they don't believe it :rolleyes: It would make a fascinating psychological study. I believed all that stuff as a child. Thankfully I grew up.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

really? i always considered myself non-religious, 'cuz i don't believe in any god.

18. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is a common fallacy perpetuated by those who wish to put Christianity in schools. They claim that everyone has a religion so why can't there brand be public.

19. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Also a common myth perpetuated by Christians. The God of the Hebrew Bible is the same God as the God of the Greek New Testament. Comments like this reek of anti-semitism. The most caring people I've ever met were religious Jews. They are often at the forefront in activism against things like capital punishment and in favor of human rights.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

you should,your not a random event nor is anyone. it has all been planned,thought out,and seen. dont ask me how. you dont have to be religious to know there is a Creater,God,or whatever we call the Architect of everything. :)

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry, i don't believe it. it's all chemical reactions, particle physics and chaos. and, no, i do not believe there was a sentient being that created all that stuff.

life is what you make it, nothing more.

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If you were so inclined, modern chaos theory could be sufficient to explain our existence...it is proven that even seemingly random/chaotic series of events tend to organize at specific levels of complexity...some theories of natural selection/evolution/mutation fall under this, as might some quantum physics. It can be argued that this organizing principle could be called "god", but the naming is completely irrelevant...and Zim is free to make his choices, it seems from what I know of him that he has been doing rather well...

Also, in relation to the topic (homosexuals denied communion), I do not recall Jesus being against the Gay community in principle or action...are you trying to distance Jesus from the organized church? If so, good for you...are you an Episcopalian? or a progressive Christian (founded by an Episcopalian priest)?

*edit* Zim with the quickness...

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

chaos is just that, it doesnt follow laws, it doesnt stay in line, its chaos, our universe is not. think about it.

24. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

What's all this talk about hate?

The members were not only allowed into the church, but they were blessed by the priest. Communion is a bond of fellowship between those who hold the specific beliefs of the church (Catholic, Protestant, whatever). The Bible specifically tells us as Christians that those who take Communion impurely or improperly are damned by it and not renewed. Priests/pastors have been known to refuse Communion to members who have unresolved marital and other life problems. This is not a matter of exclusion and hate, but a matter of salvation.

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Firstly, it is chaos THEORY, not just chaos...and if you looked more closely many things that seem chaotic are in fact organized in some fashion...in fact, it can be argued that if there wasn't an organizing principle to chaos, it wouldn't be chaos, at least not for long...