Gay Sheep

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Dec 31, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I do find it interesting that there is so much opposition to this study, since it seems like it would cut off a lot of the "being gay is a choice" arguments.

Don't have time to add much to the discussion. Just thought I would throw it out.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i feel like i'm a step behind, i didn't even know this bit:
    if this were a movie, a similar experiment on humans would backfire, and within 2 generations everyone would be gay. actually, it'd be a musical.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

...and its name would be Gays and Dollys

This issue is going to come up more and more in the future, not just sexual orientation but about every single aspect of human development.

In a way, it's not new, we've been selecting for certain characteristics since the beginning of time, whether with plants, animals or ourselves.

Will it work? The article doesn't say what the success rate was but nature does things for a certain reason. As long as humans have technology, there will always be a push to alter things, the long term effects be damned.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With as many Gay threads as we get here perhaps its time to open a gay forum. Has there ever been a day without a gay thread at MacRumors?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, but it was a day without sunshine.

:)

nice.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- that is a super scary study. It'll end up like the electro-shock days all over again. "Well, it works on a few of them, so let's give it to them all! Poof! No more disgusting homos!" This is vile. While the research may be valid, I don't see it being thoroughly tested before some fool like James Dobson decides to give it to his masses.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean gives it to his sheeple? :p

You're right though, this kind of thing has a high likelihood for abuse. We also don't know what the effects of eliminating "the gay" from a population will do. There's a decent chance homosexuality serves some kind of purpose to the population at large that we don't understand yet.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I always said it was mother nature's form of birth control. I don't know why that's never brought up. It certainly isn't as if the world's human population is shrinking. ;)

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

10. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

It certainly is a point that you would think would be brought up. But, I suppose if someone did bring it up, it would likely get jumped on - even if the point isn't controversial, society likes to make it so.:rolleyes: Besides, if it came up, the baptists wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

The only reason the article intrigued me was because of the concerns regarding how parents might view their child. I struggle to understand how anybody could reject an unborn child because of something they don't like - yet we see abortions for handicaps as an acceptable choice. I guess the concern is that people who view homosexuality as a handicap would be faced with a moral dilemma. But, where are the people campaigning for the rights of the disabled children? Also, wouldn't offering a treatment like the one proposed encourage parents who have that view to complete gestation (although, the Dr. would be set up for a major lawsuit if the kid ended up homosexual anyway).

Alternatively, we go back to the point Ugg brings up - characteristics we want. What are we willing to allow parents to choose? We let women select sperm donors based on several characteristics, is sexuality on that list? We debate the ethics of parents genetically influencing many of the other characteristics of a child - why should sexuality be any different?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, here's the scary thing- if I were a parent, I wouldn't want my kid to be gay. People are so evil to us gays. That's my gut feeling. On the other hand, I would say, f*** other people! They need to get over it! It's difficult though, when you think about it. It shouldn't be a big deal at all. But for whatever reason, it is.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What more rights do disabled children need? Or perhaps a better question is, what rights are disabled children currently lacking? Just curious.

Of course, if you think "the gay" is a disability, do we not have an obligation under the ADA to accommodate that "disability"?

13. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think that is the way it is for almost everything that you decide as a parent. We haven't really started yet, and I already find myself fighting battles over society vs. me raising my kid. Sometimes it is things that in the end don't matter, sometimes things that will really impact who she is. We are having a hard enough time and haven't even started dealing with actual parenting issues. I mean, you should have seen the argument that we had when we discussed spanking (I'm not going to get into who said what here - that is a whole other can of worms that needs its own thread).

Parents need to grow into making decisions for their kids - making something so life-affecting so early is going to be tough. You're always going to be afraid you screwed the pooch. But, if we really want the promised land of designer children, we are going to have to let parents make every decision. I mean, the "unpopular" choice is always going to get weeded out. How many parents would choose hereditary baldness, etc.?

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Who cares? Just give me a good lamb tiki marsala. I don't research my food's sexual history...:rolleyes:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

"Social issues" is code for gay.

I do think homosexuality serves some kind of purpose in nature. Population control is one theory, and some of us have brought it up before. But there could be other reasons. Look at left handed people, nature likes variety.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

ditto some teenage boy complaining about how he can't get a girl.

17. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

How would the religious right (I'm talking the Ted Haggard extreme) react to unborn children they knew were likely to be gay? How would that impact the abortion argument? Homosexuality, or abortion? Ted would have to do some serious soul searching with his masseuse before he phoned the White House.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

They'd probably make a law where children susceptible to homosexuality at birth would be taken from their parents and made straight with some kind of crazy shock therapy, that or put into religious school, either one is likely to mess them up enough to delay coming out for a fair few years.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or cause them to commit suicide.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

The irony would be that they find they need to use stem cells in order to do the research.;)
    Do you think the Christian base would support it?

Seriously though, this type of hormonal tinkering if fallen into the wrong hands could lead to some scary prospacts. Like altering womens hormones to only be attracted to Health and Science University Biologists.:eek:

21. vniow macrumors G4

22. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I can't listen to any more of this. Let the gay ram alone. Let him roam wild and free. Animals have a right to believe anything they want.

btw-wish I had a picture of the pot-bellied pig that confused the leg of a full grown horse with his love interest. The horse, rather than kicking out, seemed to sympathize, and only shook the leg to get the pig off it. The pig was rather fixated and repeatedly returned. I thought I'd die laughing. Who says there is nothing to do on vacation in Northern Nevada.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this bit made me chuckle, imagining researchers struggling to find the words to avoid saying "gay sex":

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A piece of advice we could all benefit from, methinks.