Gay support for Katrina relief grows

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 14, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

glad to hear that everyone is getting together to help

i'm sure lots of groups have banded together over this issue though, not just gays

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- it says so in the second article. Many groups are mentioned. This just reminded me of what it was like back in the 80's when AIDS hit. We had to take care of each other- no one else would. We came together like nothing I've ever seen.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Not to say this isn't good, but what if there were a straight only group helping only the straight victims of Katrina? Wouldn't there be a massive uproar?

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I agree, I can see how it may seem silly that an organized group of gays comes out and says "we feel bad about Katrina, we want to help". However, it is all well-intentioned. Any organized group does this thing, there is some huge tragedy and they want their group to do something to show support. It's a good thing, just seems odd when you take it in the literal context of a headline - "Gays help hurricane victims"

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yes. But this is a gay group helping all the victims. So what's your point?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

From the articles, that's not entirely clear.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, nothing wrong with jovial support of hurricane victims...
    ;)

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess my point in posting this was to show that we homos aren't the selfish hedonists people think we are. In the past, that arguement has been used to further others' agendas against us.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

straight people do not necessarily need to have that sort of unity because they are not as discriminated against as the gay community. any possible discriminated group may need to stick together to help one another out, because there's the times when they're turned away or scorned for being who they are. help just may not be as readily available.
    (i mean this in general, it can be applied to race, religion, sexual orientation, etc)

but there were already points made on the why's... just wanted to throw this aspect into the mix

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Too much information.

11. katchow macrumors 6502

i dunno, some of the article makes it sound as if everyone is trying to help their "own". I understand the need for a strong communal feeling among minorities but when it comes to charity (for a disaster of this sort) it doesn't seem right to be preferential.

but its really just about giving, right?

sorry, i don't mean to sound like i'm complaining. Bits of it just strike me as odd.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i can see how it might appear "not right" from the surface, but that's why i said what i did. since preferential treatment AGAINST the gay community is a big reality, the need to help their own is a bit more prominent. know what i mean?

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Are there documented cases where Hurricane Katrina survivors who are gay have been denied help?

14. katchow macrumors 6502

i can appreciate what you're saying. i'm just thinking that in this case, the damage caused by Katrina was indiscriminate, why draw the "us and them" lines?

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

While we are on the subject of "discrimination", is it really true that only white males under 40 cannot be *legally* discriminated against?

16. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Who cares? Doesn't matter to me what creed, ethnicity, nationality or sexual preference the donors have as long as they do something to help the people in need.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No. The young, professional white males are the most oppressed segment of society.

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Yea...I was just wondering whether that was true, cause it is discrimination in itself. No need to be a smart a**...

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Woe is me, the white male who is given more opportunities than any other demographic, because people recognise this distinction and discriminate (but obviously not against me) based on it.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They can still be discriminated against on grounds of sexual orientation, religion and disability.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It'll happen. The law won't allow for any recognition of gay couples when the rebuilding cash is doled out. Happened after 911 too. If there is one surviving member of a couple, there will also be benefits he/she is denied.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And even when an organization is willing to help a Gay/Lesbian couple, these people are made to jump through hoops since "marriage" of same sex couples is not legal.

I gave to the Red Cross as the lesser of all evils. Though I would give more to an organization that would give to a "group" that I felt will fall between the cracks...

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Particularly if they go around wishing people Merry Christmas. Those are the most oppressed of all.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is your own personal opinions of what "straight" people think of you. There is no fact to back up your personal statement thus making it really just your own demons coming out when you're trying to justify why you'd even bother posting about how gays are banning together to help victims. Who cares about their sexual orientation? What should be noted is that there are people helping the victims, straight or gay.

While you said that you're just showing us that gays aren't the "selfish hedonists people" we think they are, you're also saying that straight people are uneducated and uncaring fools that would stoop to such a level to single out a group of people and making piss-poor acquisitions about them. Thanks for making the Katrina disaster a little more political. Well done.