gazillionare clone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mox358, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Has anybody heard of the game Gazillionare from Lavamind? It's an older PC game, very simple graphics (its runs in anything from Windows 3.1 to XP). It's one of the most addicting games I've ever played, and I recently got back into it thanks to a PC using friend. There is no Mac version, and the official word is to emulate Windows to play it. They recommend Virtual PC of course.

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a Gazillionare clone or similiar type game for OSX. I've tried using "Q" to emulate Windows 3.1 and I'm just not having very good luck with it.

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Hey! I just spent about 5 hours last night installing Windows 3.11 on Q and even got the internet working! What do you need help with? Now that I spent all night doing it, I'm very excited about it.

3. mox358 thread starter macrumors 6502

mox358

cool...

Ok... well I got Q installed and got my "hard disk" setup. I was able to install FreeDOS as well. Then I ran into the problem that disc images I created with Disk Utility (even with the extension changed to .img and the format set as MS-DOS) were not readable by FreeDOS under Q. I just opened the FreeDOS disk images and duplicated them and copied my windows 3.1 install files over to Q that way, and now my install isn't successful and when I tried to start up windows I found that it didn't even install the win.exe file!!!

I don't know what I did wrong or how to create a disk image that Q can understand. If you can give me some tips on how to get this going I would be most thankful and so would my friend cuz I keep using his computer to play Gazillionare when he's not looking :cool:

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Did you have Q set up a hard drive, or did you do it yourself in Disk Utility? I had done mine in Disk Utility and formatted it for MS-DOS.
    Then I mounted it in finder and copied all my windows files onto it. I just mounted each windows disc and copied the files all into one folder on that Hard drive image that was mounted. Then I unmounted it and booted up Q into dos. From there I cd'd over to the directory where I copied the files and typed setup. Fast and easy way to install windows. Didn't have to worry about windows disk images anymore.

5. mox358 thread starter macrumors 6502

mox358

the strangest thing....

Ok, I created the hard disk image in Disk Utility, formatted it as MS-DOS and everything. Worked like a charm. So I mounted it on the OS X desktop and copied over my Windows 3.1 install files. The first time I copied them (there are 464 files total) they would all show up in the Finder, but when I was in Q the hard disk image only showed 48 files in my Windows Setup folder (c:\setup). The second time I tried copying them it said there were no files in the setup directory!!! I'm very confused on what is going on with this program!!:confused:

6. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Heh now I'm curious about this, and trying to do it myself... however, I'm pretty clueless... how do you format a disk image to be for MS-DOS? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's the first....

7. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

You create a disk image. Then you select it in disk utility and then should be able to click on a tab titled "erase." Then you select MS-DOS format as you erase it, and it should be formatted correctly.

About your windows files not showing up, I'm not sure about that... Are you using a disk image you created in disk utility, or one that Q created? I never had luck using a drive created by Q, I had to use my own. Are you copying the files over with Q open or quit? I have sent files to it in both situations and it was ok, but I'd try it in a different manner if at all possible.