GB ignorant.. (total newbie).. MP3 editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Dec 21, 2004.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

I've been told I can do this task with Garageband. I have a new G4 iBook.

I have a 1 hour MP3 of which the last 30 mins or so is blank (emptiness). I would like to delete this portion and re-save the MP3 (size should be smaller). I got as far as importing the MP3 from iTunes into GB but the column numbers but could drag the red vertical line only as far as 200 (I don't know what 200 refers to... seconds?). Is there a limitation on the length or size of an MP3 that can be imported? How do I get to the 30 minute mark of the file and delete the last 30 minutes?

Thanks for any help offered...

:)

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Something that could work for you is the following:

Import the song into iTunes. Right-click on the song in iTunes and do “View Song Info,” or whatever menu item sounds like it would show you the properties of the song. You’ll get a window with a few tabs; one of them will have a box where you can fill-in the “end time” for a song, by indicating minutes:seconds when you want it the song to stop playing. So, you’d set the end time at whatever point the silence begins, since it sounds like you don't want to listen to all that silence. After doing this, re-rip the track with iTunes. To re-rip a song, you can right-click and say “Encode as …” You’ll get a new copy of the song, with the silence completely gone.

Sorry, I realize these are somewhat crappy instructions; I'll be back on my Mac later, and I can give you better instructions if you still need them. :) Anyway, this is probably the easiest and most hassle-free way to achieve what you want to do.

3. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey! Sounds simple enough.. Thank you. I will give it a try this evening!

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yes, dotnina's suggestion is a lot easier and quicker than using GB. :) Well you learn something new every day. :p

In case you're still curious though, in GB the numbers refer to measures - the default song is 200 measures, in 4/4 time at 120 beats per minute that gives 200 * 4 / 120, about 6 mins 40. You can increase the song length by dragging the purple triangle at the 200 marker on the ruler at the top. I think the maximum is 1000 measures. If you reduce the beats per minute to 60 (the tempo is displayed in blue near the bottom), that gives you a song of more than one hour. Personally, I'd follow dotnina's instructions ;)