GB Micro consideration for Oz flights...

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlBDamned, Feb 6, 2006.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

So, I have some pretty hefty long-haul flights to Australia coming up, around 24hrs each way in total, and I'm looking at the Gameboy micro thinking - long battery life, 100 pounds for one secondhand with a couple of classic games, sell it when I get back. Hmm that good be a good investment. I've already checked and the in-flight movies are going to be low-quality so I need some entertainment for some of my trip.

If so, I need some game recommendations from you guys. I've not had a Nintendo machine since my SNES (though we had an N64 at the college house). I used to be into Super probotector, streetfighter II, Mario Kart, shooting stuff, racing stuff, but not really MArio (bar the first one on the original GB), Zelda or stuff like that.

What games would be good?

Cheers

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Metroid Zero Mission (free roaming) and Fusion (a little more linear) are excellent long-play games. first play took me 11 hours to beat Zero Mission with a high-90% item rate. good big classic-styled games. can't fault em! I was bored on holiday once so I did a 4 hour run through Fusion.

Mario Kart is a little funny. Personally I didn't like the way the turning felt, I find it near unplayable but other people loved it.

It's a shame you don't like Zelda. Minish Cap can be beaten in about 10 hours and its a really fantastic game. very fun to play.

Advance Wars is fun but very tough.

BUT the single most addictive game I played on GBA was Golden Sun 1. I spent a very long time on that. 20 hours on the first game, 30 hours on the 2nd. and I STILL haven't beaten it. so epic and grand. too underrated for its own good. I've never enjoyed such an RPG since... ever.

Notable games- Fire Emblem, Street Fighter Alpha 3 (very very good), Doom, Sonic Advance 3, Pokémon Emerald (simply epic).

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga is the best game I have played for any console since the SNES hayday.

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

The two Metroid games are fun, and of course the Castlevania titles. You've got the Castlvania Double pack now for $30 which includes The second and third GBA castlevania titles in one cart. Excellent deal considering how rare they both are.

And of course you've got Mario Kart Super Circuit...handheld racing at it's finest.

I'd note the Sonic Advance titles but you seem to be steering away from platformers a bit.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I like the idea of Mario Kart, Doom (and Doom II?) and Astro Boy could be good.

RPGs just aren't my thing though. Sonic and Mario are possibilities. I guess ideally I just want something that'll hook me right in for 10 hours at a time :)

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye thats why i mentioned RPG's. those things are dangerous if they're good games.

If the Mario games are a possibility then I strongly recommend Mario Bros 3 or Mario World. 2 excellent games.

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well, I tried GAME earlier in Fulham. It's a little store, but they did have a mint, 2nd hand Green Micro for 60 pounds. To be honest though, there wasn't a single game in there that caught my eye. No Mario Kart (quite rare apparently), no Doom (too old apparently...). They had Sim City, Narnia :)rolleyes:), The Incredibles :)rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and loads of other junk. Not worth it really so I think I'll leave it.

Thanks for the help though.