GB on iMac 500

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JasonElise1983, Oct 29, 2004.

1. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

does anyone know if this is actually possible? I know if it was it would be slow, and i'm not ignoring that, but i would just like it to run. Apple's website says it will work on 600Mhz G3's and up only. Is that just a recommendation or is that for real? And if it did run, could i use the MobilePre and play guitar into it? I'm not asking for me, its for my little brother who just bought a used iMac G3 500 and wants ro buy iLife 04 but he isn't going to if GB won't run on it. Thanks

2. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

not sure if it will work. I don't see why it should not though, however keep in mind that isight also reccomends a 600MHZ G3 and it has been said that it fails to install or start on anything slower than that. I have used GB for a short time on my 800Mhz G4 imac with 768MB of memory and it was so slow that I found it almost unusable when working with multiple tracks so I imagine running it on a 500Mhz G3 would be hell.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

My friend was able to run GB on his iMac 500.......though it was pretty slow. He had 384MB RAM.

4. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I have an iBook G3 800MHz and 640mb of ram and it is barely useable.

5. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm not sure how much luck you will have running it on that machine. I had a 667 MHz PowerBook G4 that it didn't run well on. It would always tell me that the song had exceeded the processing power of my computer. I then got a PowerBook 1 GHz G4, and it worked better.

6. JasonElise1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

So it is technically possible is what you are saying. I don't care that it will be slow, he's been running a PC (400 AMD pre-athlon, 64Mb RAM, 6Gb HD, with Window 98 {not se}). I think he will manage if it is a little sluggish, or even has a few issues. Thanks for your replies, i'll let him know.

7. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

No, I don't believe it is technically possible. Once the message popped up saying that the song has exceeded the processing power of the computer, you must quit the program. So, I wouldn't even bother with it.

8. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I wish it was a little slugish.... Instead, its a lot slugish or unusable.

9. JasonElise1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

Yeah, i realize that it will be slow and i am not going to argue about that. I just want to give him something he can cut his teeth on until he can get a real computer. it took everything he had to get his hands on this old one, but hopefully he'll get a new Mac sometime soon. Thank you all again, you have been a big help

10. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

If he wants to do audio, I would recommend booting into OS9 and running Pro Tools Free.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

<echo>Not usuable...too slow...</echo>

Get a 1Ghz G4 off of eBay and load it up with RAM if you are serious about this stuff. My iMac (see sig for details) can just barely make it...I made a 38 second song and gave up prolonging it because it just hurt to use for too long.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think Gb has some performance issues..
    I have used logic audio 4 on my beige and it could easily rum 8 audio track and a few midi track without problems. (didn't use much realtime plugins at that time..)

I tokk a few classes in digital audio recording a few years back and we used logic on iMac G3s with 512 mb ram (i don't remeber how fasts they was, but i think i recon that they where kind a redish coloured)

But you need to downgrade to use logic audio 4 and it costs much money (you can probably get it fairly cheap of ebay, well atleast fairly cheap compared to other musicproduction apps..)