GB1 and Mbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yall, Jan 26, 2005.

1. yall macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have a 1ghz Emac, running 10.2.8 with 768mgs of ram. I'm trying to use my mbox as an input device for garage band. GB recognizes the mbox, but anything that is recorded is very choppy, and tends to be sped up quite a bit upon playback.

I've seen a few internet posts from folks having the same problems, but no solutions.

I'm using the highest version of the core audio driver, allow by the OS.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Dave :confused:

2. slyster macrumors newbie

I also experienced major problems using MBox with a dual 1.8 G5 and GB. I would get crashes everytime I'd launch a session and tried everything under the sun without any success.

I eventually gave up and ended up with an Edirol FA-101 which is rock solid and clean and works flawlessly with either GB or Logic or any other audio apps you can throw at it. If you're willing to spend the time to figure it out, go ahead, but if you're just anxious to get working, look for other options and don't waste any time. My re-seller took the Mbox back no questions asked.

The strange thing is, Apple promotes the Mbox as an option for GB users... Maybe they should test the set-ups they promote!

Good luck,

S.

3. yall thread starter macrumors newbie

One thing I tried that worked was to set the output to the mbox as well. Stuff recorded great, but to listen to playback you need to either listen through the mbox or go change the output back to the mac.

The other down side is that if you use an effect while recording, you won't hear it until you play it back through the mac.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that product out...

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The M=box works just fine as long as you have Digidesigns Core Audio client installed, and you set the interface to record and play the audio.

M-box is a studio interface, it's supposed to grab the whole lot and run it through a seperate speaker system, you can't use speakers connected to the Mac, you need monitors.

Having said that, M-box is probably overkill for most GB users, I use one because most of my work is ProTools based and I have LE on my powerbook and the systems to connect it to at hame and work. ProTools is a much better audio editor/mixer than GB, and I find I end up exporting tracks from GB into ProTools for completion.

The M-box's mic amps are also MUCH better than Eidorols, but I think for most people an Eidorol or M-audio interface will be a cheaper option, cos you're not paying for ProTools too.