GBA game won't save? Fake?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DeSnousa, Jun 9, 2006.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

As the title suggests I bought FF4 for GBA on ebay. I received yesterday and the game won't save, I mean it does save but when the power is turned of, the data gets lost?

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3

I have a suspicion that this is a fake copy, for the following reasons: it's ebay :rolleyes:, if you read the box the game description doesn't seem right especially the last paragraph, the box looks printed, and well the game does not save?

I have tried to contact seller, but he is not replying. I bit annoyed but at least it was not a lot of money (AUS $31). Here is the message I sent him:

Oh yeah ebay also sent this message when it was to late :mad:

So any I guess my question is what should I do, I'm thinking of just taking my losses as I don't have time to follow this up :eek:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a fake. he's a tosser. theres little you can do. I've lost £25 for a fake Pokemon game. Just something you learn - do NOT trust eBay with GBA games. Just don't even have an eBay window open or any thoughts about it when you want to buy a GBA game.

It's a pain I know :) just contact eBay about him selling fake items. try and get in touch with his previous buyers to see if they have fakes too. more voices speak louder.

If it's any consolation you're not alone in this. out of 3 people I know who have bought GBA games off eBay all 3 have had fakes.

3. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Wow, what a terrible fake but don't feel bad I probably wouldn't have noticed until I had it in my hands either.

I had no idea people were selling pirated carts on ebay. Thanks for the tip on that, but I always wondered on some questionable ebay gameboy offerings I've seen.

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

yeah that # is 13 digits long, and a UPC is only 8 or 12, no more no less
    Also, the UPC I think looks like a fake cause don't you have:
    # _ ##### _ ##### _ #
    instead of
    # _ ###### _ ######

7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

That's terrible. I've bought 4 or 5 GBA games from ebay and all have been fine-- just got LTTP this week. I did buy a fake Mary Poppins DVD once (seller was banned like this one).

8. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Got caught once. Aria of sorrow. I was able to save for a few days then nada. Basically, I don't purchase anything on eBay that's shipping from Hong Kong at half price or less.

9. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Ended up with a fake Doom2 for the GBA once myself. The most important advice I could give is to always check the seller's feedback, in particular make it a point to read any negative feedback that was left. After I realised I bought a fake, I read through the seller's feedback, and sure enough the negative feedback was from people complaining about receiving fake/pirated copies. Also, the seller was from Hong Kong. I have yet to see a legitimate auction from someone in Hong Kong. Sorry.

The easiest way to tell that you received a fake(other than the pathetic text on the back), is the fact that the box shows no signs of ever being formed into shape for retail sale. Unless i'm mistaken, they ship from the factories already put together with the game inside and so on. The box you received shows no signs of wear on the flaps. Same thing with the box I received. It was the first thing that started making me suspicious.

10. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah I have learnt my lesson :rolleyes:

The thing os the seller's feedback score was very good, and he was located in Melbourne. Just terrible luck :)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well Brisbane isn't too far away... go kick s**t

12. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah it's only 1669km, not much :cool:

If I did not have so many exams. I would be following this up :eek:

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

as a rule dont buy software from ebay, unless it's on a non cracked system such as xbox 360 games.